SharkPokerSchool Forum

Hi and welcome to our SPS Forum!

Only our forum members are eligible for our freerolls, cheaprolls, forum games, and other promotions; so if you haven't registered, please sign up, it only takes a minute!

Any problems or questions please email us at admin@sharkpokerschool.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SharkPokerSchool Forum

Hi and welcome to our SPS Forum!

Only our forum members are eligible for our freerolls, cheaprolls, forum games, and other promotions; so if you haven't registered, please sign up, it only takes a minute!

Any problems or questions please email us at admin@sharkpokerschool.com

SharkPokerSchool Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SharkPokerSchool Forum
www.SharkPokerSchool.com....  Hi Guest, welcome to the SPS Forum!..... Welcome to our newest member darrayb..... Don't forget our friendly weekly forum game, and wp to last Sunday's winner, xBEASTx!!!

+2
SuperMario
Bainn
6 posters

Party 300K

Bainn
    Bainn
    Beardy Mod

SPS Chips : 2724
    Favourite hand : 5-4 off "The Bainn"

Party 300K Empty Party 300K

Post  Bainn Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:02 am

So, at some point in the near future I have to tackle the 300K Sunday tournament on Partypoker.

Does anyone play this regularly or have advice on how to tackle it or the standard of play ?
    SuperMario
    SuperMario

SPS Chips : 25

Party 300K Empty Re: Party 300K

Post  SuperMario Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:30 am

Only play at that kind of level when I have the patience to satelite in or one of mumbos betting tips pays off, but have played a few like that on various sites but not at party. I tend to find the something like:

hour 1: Donkey shoot, I play very few hands and try to get the most value out of 5 card hands, love suited connectors, KK, QQ make me very nervous.

hour 2: TAG your it, with most of the donks gone I like to open up my starting range and will aggresively play strong pocket pairs, position starting to get important.

hour 3: The button is coming, the part I find the hardest, blinds are hurting more and I am praying the dealer is good to me.

hour 4: Cash and get lucky, since I play so few games at this level whats really important to me is to actually cash, unless ive got lucky earlier in the game im going to be really defensive of my blinds and position play can make up some chips if I am dealing dead.

hour 5+: dont look through the beer goggles, If hell is close to freezing point and I have actually made it this far a tag style bearing in mind the tiredness of the length of game ( and how much booze ive pour down my neck ) can make for poor desicion making, little post it notes with 'fold that K9 suited fool' help me.

Just a very personal view, hope it gets you thinking.
    Bainn
    Bainn
    Beardy Mod

Post  Bainn Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:39 am

SuperMario wrote:Only play at that kind of level when I have the patience to satelite in or one of mumbos betting tips pays off, but have played a few like that on various sites but not at party. I tend to find the something like:

hour 1: Donkey shoot, I play very few hands and try to get the most value out of 5 card hands, love suited connectors, KK, QQ make me very nervous.

hour 2: TAG your it, with most of the donks gone I like to open up my starting range and will aggresively play strong pocket pairs, position starting to get important.

hour 3: The button is coming, the part I find the hardest, blinds are hurting more and I am praying the dealer is good to me.

hour 4: Cash and get lucky, since I play so few games at this level whats really important to me is to actually cash, unless ive got lucky earlier in the game im going to be really defensive of my blinds and position play can make up some chips if I am dealing dead.

hour 5+: dont look through the beer goggles, If hell is close to freezing point and I have actually made it this far a tag style bearing in mind the tiredness of the length of game ( and how much booze ive pour down my neck ) can make for poor desicion making, little post it notes with 'fold that K9 suited fool' help me.

Just a very personal view, hope it gets you thinking.

That is a very well written and insightful reply, cheers my friend.

The fact that my entry won't cost me a cent should not change my approach ?
    SuperMario
    SuperMario

SPS Chips : 25

Post  SuperMario Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:45 am

Bainn wrote:

I always like to imagine that I have bought myself in ( without too much pain ) as I don't like what 'well it hasn't cost me anything so this AJ off is great out of position' can do to me. Probably like me it would be best to play to cash rather than play for first place, even a low place is a great return on a free entry. best of luck mate, imagine how good it will be to place first Very Happy.
    Bainn
    Bainn
    Beardy Mod

Post  Bainn Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:52 am

SuperMario wrote:
    Bainn wrote:

I always like to imagine that I have bought myself in ( without too much pain ) as I don't like what 'well it hasn't cost me anything so this AJ off is great out of position' can do to me. Probably like me it would be best to play to cash rather than play for first place, even a low place is a great return on a free entry. best of luck mate, imagine how good it will be to place first Very Happy.

Yeah, I like that thinking and is the approach I would have probably taken.

It will be great to turn $0 into a couple of K + but I won't think about it till it happens.

Thanks for the gl.
    Evo397bhp
    Evo397bhp

SPS Chips : 785
    Favourite hand : High stakes JJ, HiLo A33K Ds

Post  Evo397bhp Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:30 pm

you have PM back m8t
    Bainn
    Bainn
    Beardy Mod

Post  Bainn Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:55 pm

Evo397bhp wrote:you have PM back m8t

Cheers Evo, replied.
    CARNIVORE04
    CARNIVORE04

SPS Chips : 1377

Post  CARNIVORE04 Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:15 pm

Dunno dont play there but am intrigued now myself.

Buy in, start time, average entrants,weekly ?

Cheers
    Bainn
    Bainn
    Beardy Mod

Post  Bainn Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:19 am

CARNIVORE04 wrote:Dunno dont play there but am intrigued now myself.

Buy in, start time, average entrants,weekly ?

Cheers

$215, 5.45pm our time, 1400, Weekly.
    hopelesglory
    hopelesglory

SPS Chips : 140

Post  hopelesglory Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:50 am

Hi Bainn,

I'm gonna write down a load of stuff that might help, obviously it's up to you whether you think it is useful or not (I guess if there is one thing in there that is useful then it is worth it - this might all be below you or basic stuff and apologies if it is, don't mean to be patronising!).
    I pretty rarely play at a 215$ entry fee level (bit steep for me - not sure if this is the same for you and hence why u asked for advice), only if I have won a satellite or so, but anyway here goes:

General:
    • Prepare yourself for a long game, make sure you will have little or no distractions, eat a good meal before hand & have plenty of drinks throughout, get a comfortable set up, make no plans for the next 7, 8 or even 9 hours!
    • Be sure to enjoy yourself whilst you play, if you have any bad beats or hands take a short break before continuing to regain your composure before returining to the game.
    • I like to have a couple of other games running at the same time - especially in the early game so that I don't lose patience, later on i prefer not to so I take more info on my oppenants and the table antics
    • Take your time, especially on big hands - have a big think before your make your plays (even if you have the nuts and are just going all in, take your time) and don't be scared to take risks if you think they are profitable and would usually do them in a lower stake game

Early game:
    As with most MTTs try and play a lot of cheap multiway pots in late position with "sneaky" hands, e.g. suited connectors, small pairs, that will pay you off big if you hit on the flop. Avoid betting out draws and fish for big hands if cheap (throw away if not cheap!)
    Play hands like AQ, AK cautiously - you don't have to raise with these hands pre flop if you don't think it will make people fold and hence will just build an uncessarily big pot (try and play these hands in position as this will enable you to control the pot size easier) and keep the pots relative small if you hit hands like top pair, top kicker, because there is a lot of 'implied' odds calling about when the stack sizes are high relative to the blinds.
    Avoid pre flop showdowns for large percentages of your chips without premium hands (AA KK), as preflop showdowns are highly down to the cards on the deck (which are out of your control) you don't want to be relying on luck to progress through the tournament - especially eith so many people 1400!

Mid Game:
    Generally people say lower your opening requirements in mid game (e.g. button raises etc.), however I'm more partial to increasing my opening requirements as a lot of people are suspicious now of late raises etc. Instead I am more inclined to call/raise against late raisers when I have position on them with weaker cards (e.g. on your button) and then bet/pressure them post flop/turn/river when they show weakness - lots of flop analysis required here!
    It's worth keeping an eye out for the players who seem loose (e.g. raising pre flop a lot in late positions) and using this strategy against them as they probably won't persue a pot further than a continuation bet without geniunely hitting.

I'm not going to finish the post because I'm coming to the late stages of a couple of tourny's and need to concentrate, however if you think this is useful then let me know and I'll write my thoughts about late/super late game....if it's not very useful then I won't bother lol:)

Good luck mate hope u win!!!!

Steve (hopelesglory)
    Bainn
    Bainn
    Beardy Mod

Post  Bainn Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:00 am

Steve, thanks for your concise post, I find it all useful and look forward to the second half.

Good luck in your tournaments !
    Bainn
    Bainn
    Beardy Mod

Post  Bainn Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:04 am

How did you get on Steve ?
    hopelesglory
    hopelesglory

Post  hopelesglory Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:59 am

hey mate,

I came 4th (in the 5e Bounty) and 7th (in the 10e rebuy), so not too bad but not the big 1st place that we're always aiming for!!

I'll finish my post tomorrow as I'm going to a friends house tonight for new year (my presence will be at the party....but I'll be thinking about poker ehehe)

Steve
    Bainn
    Bainn
    Beardy Mod

Post  Bainn Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:33 am

hopelesglory wrote:hey mate,

I came 4th (in the 5e Bounty) and 7th (in the 10e rebuy), so not too bad but not the big 1st place that we're always aiming for!!

I'll finish my post tomorrow as I'm going to a friends house tonight for new year (my presence will be at the party....but I'll be thinking about poker ehehe)

Steve

Nice work my friend, have a grand time tonight !
    LuckyChuck
    LuckyChuck

SPS Chips : 117

Post  LuckyChuck Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:19 pm

nice post hope.

with regards to the game, it tends to be a mix of satelite numpties, satelite rocks, and people who buy in to this type of thing. Scope your opponents, and work out which guys bought in. Do not bluff these people. Value bet high. From the satelite peeps, try and divide them up as best you can. Once youve spotted the satelite rocks, then you can abuse them, but obv they will be pretty tight pre!

gl in the tourn Mr Bainn, look forward to a full report... 👽
    Bainn
    Bainn
    Beardy Mod

Post  Bainn Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:39 am

LuckyChuck wrote:nice post hope.

with regards to the game, it tends to be a mix of satelite numpties, satelite rocks, and people who buy in to this type of thing. Scope your opponents, and work out which guys bought in. Do not bluff these people. Value bet high. From the satelite peeps, try and divide them up as best you can. Once youve spotted the satelite rocks, then you can abuse them, but obv they will be pretty tight pre!

gl in the tourn Mr Bainn, look forward to a full report... 👽

Cheers fella !
    hopelesglory
    hopelesglory

Post  hopelesglory Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:07 pm

sorry Bainn, i will finish it soon!! lol, super busy!!
    Bainn
    Bainn
    Beardy Mod

Post  Bainn Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:25 am

hopelesglory wrote:sorry Bainn, i will finish it soon!! lol, super busy!!

Anytime before 5.45pm tomorrow will be sweet ta.

Wink

Seriously, no rush, I might forgo playing it tomorrow and play it next week, just need to see how things are going this weekend.
    Bainn
    Bainn
    Beardy Mod

Post  Bainn Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:43 am

Righto, just checked the schedule, this Sunday is the monthly million !

So it will be next week for me.

However, there is a freeroll qualifier to the monthly million at midnight with registration starting at 11pm.
    Bainn
    Bainn
    Beardy Mod

Post  Bainn Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:51 pm

8mins till reg...
    hopelesglory
    hopelesglory

Post  hopelesglory Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:00 am

Hi Bainn,

Finally going to finish this post for late and super late game, hope it is useful - it's just my opinion!:

Have you played it yet btw, if so how you get on?

Late game (on/around bubble):
    At this stage of the game there is generally 5 factors that dictate my play:
    • My stack size relative to the blinds (worth constantly reviewing as the stack sizes can change dramatically with big pots and with big blinds)
    • The amount of people at the table (the less people at the table, the strong your hand). Last 30-20 people the table size changes a lot.
    • Your position in every hand (when you are to act, not position in the tournament)
    • The oppenants stack sizes/image
    • Your cards

Without going into too much detail, basically at this stage of the game it is less about hitting good hands, but taking advantage of opportunities presented to you - e.g. squeeze plays vs loose raisers, or stealing blinds on SB/button, etc. attacking the tight players, medium stacks
    Any strong hand you have at this stage should be played aggresively and, subject to your stack size you, may well be commited to any hand you raise pre flop with.
    What I find very important (throughout the whole game, but especially now) is the bet sizing. Take a lot of time to think about the size of your bets and what you want to achieve with every bet - then consider the best amount to bet to achieve this.
    If your big stack at this stage don't be scared to get involved in pre flop showdowns with middle strength cards if the pot odds are good and it doesn't damage your stack too much (especally if you think your oppenants holding may be weakish due to their short stack push)

Super Late Game (final table):
    If you get this far well done!!! First thing to do is check the payout and then reframe from wetting yourself with excitement at the prospect of winning so much $$$$$.
    Next thing to do is slow down dramatically, most likely you've just come from a table of 5 or 6 people and are now on a tableof 9 or 10 people. This means that your hands need to be stronger and that your stack size is relatively bigger to the blinds.
    Now you just need to treat the game like a normal final table, always be aiming for first place as the first place value is so much higher than the other positions .
    Don't be scared to make plays play you think are profitable and most important take a lot of time to think about your plays. The worst thing you can do at this stage is get blinded away and not have a shot at winning the tournament, as with the late game keep reviewing your stack size relative to the blinds and amount of people at the table!

Hope you do well buddy and some of this helps

Steve (hopelesglory)
    Bainn
    Bainn
    Beardy Mod

Post  Bainn Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:02 am

Steve, that information was well worth the wait, nice one.

Nope, not played it yet.
    hopelesglory
    hopelesglory

Post  hopelesglory Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:42 pm

hey Bainn,

how did you do in the tournament?
    Bainn
    Bainn
    Beardy Mod

Post  Bainn Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:53 pm

hopelesglory wrote:hey Bainn,

how did you do in the tournament?

Er, STILL not played it, lol, simply finding a Sunday to fully commit to this.

Sigh.
    hopelesglory
    hopelesglory

Post  hopelesglory Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:20 pm

hey mate, how did you do at dusk til dawn?? my mate won the sunday game £50, he split for £1000 (fortunately i had 15% mina mina)

did you play this game yet lol?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:50 am