SharkPokerSchool Forum

Hi and welcome to our SPS Forum!

Only our forum members are eligible for our freerolls, cheaprolls, forum games, and other promotions; so if you haven't registered, please sign up, it only takes a minute!

Any problems or questions please email us at admin@sharkpokerschool.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SharkPokerSchool Forum

Hi and welcome to our SPS Forum!

Only our forum members are eligible for our freerolls, cheaprolls, forum games, and other promotions; so if you haven't registered, please sign up, it only takes a minute!

Any problems or questions please email us at admin@sharkpokerschool.com

SharkPokerSchool Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SharkPokerSchool Forum
www.SharkPokerSchool.com....  Hi Guest, welcome to the SPS Forum!..... Welcome to our newest member darrayb..... Don't forget our friendly weekly forum game, and wp to last Sunday's winner, xBEASTx!!!

+4
MADV
Evo397bhp
wildrick
danowski69
8 posters

Best way to play a rebuy?

danowski69

SPS Chips : 2455

Best way to play a rebuy? Empty Best way to play a rebuy?

Post  danowski69 Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:40 am

Hi Peeps,

Just looking for your advice and thoughts here.

Ive played the 4k rebuy on laddies 3 times this week, and ive taken my stack to 15k and then once the rebuy is drawing to a close, i find myself drawing dead, or losing my stack.

Any advice on how to play a rebuy? as im sure its not the same way we'd play a normal MTT.

Thanks in advance.

Danny king
    wildrick
    wildrick
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor

SPS Chips : 2238
    Favourite hand : 10sJs

Best way to play a rebuy? Empty Re: Best way to play a rebuy?

Post  wildrick Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:15 am

Well first up, the way I play a rebuy is to treat it as a double stack frz - buy in double str8 away (or top up first hand) and then play it as a frz out. If I have less than 10*add-on at the break, then I'll take it.

This route has the advantage of knowing in advance exactly what you're costs are, as long as you stick to it Wink (I tend to play $10-$100 rebuys, and only break this rule at 10 and 20 level, keeps it cheap, and me entertained)

The more important side of rebuys tho, is how OTHER people play them.

If it's a bigger rebuy, the kind with satelites to it, then there's a reasonable chance that there'll be some sat players on your table. Sharkscope your table, and work out who they are (ie players who generally play a lot lower than the game youre in), and mark them down as tight. These players are unlikely to rebuy in the main, and usually play pretty tight, at least for the first hour.

With smaller rebuys its mainly a question of looking at how everyone is playing...

Has someone just called an all in first hand preflop with AJ? And then rebought? This player is prob loose, looking to get a big stack early, and doesnt care too much about a few rebuys. He's not going to fold if he hits a hand or a big draw, and you arent going to push him off many pots. However he is going to pay you off big, so value bet higher, etc.

Has someone lost 1/3 - 1/2 their stack early and not rebought or got involved again? Their prob fairly tight, and not looking to splash out on rebuys. Give them a bit of respect if they shutdown for a while then come out betting.

Obviously these are fairly extreme examples, but they both happen fairly regularly lol.

One of the best things about rebuys is that fish dont go out early so much, they often rebuy and continue to splash their chips around, make sure you know who the donks are on your table, and get involved in pots with them, to get that stack really moving.

If I can get a good stack early, I'll be in a lot of pots near the end of the rebuy period, trying to see cheap flops and bust someone by flopping big when theyre chasing for a double. however I won't be overplaying near-premium hands, as you're likely to get some much looser calls, and the inevitable flips might go wrong.

I'll also be trying to "look really loose" - If I bet/raise bluff with air and it gets through, I'll show it to enhance this rep. Then I'll tighten up a tad after the reb period in the hope that everyone will still think im a bit of a tool Wink

oh and gl!!!

danowski69

Post  danowski69 Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:23 am

Cheers Rick, thats very useful info mate.

Ive marked down they twartards...one has rebought 11 times already lol (£2.50 rebuy)

I started with just the buy in 2k stack and now im at 22k, with no other rebuys.

Some tight players on here, and in the immortal words of Gus Hansen...i dont wanna over play a mediocre hand and butt heads with a big stack!

I finished that book in 4 straight nights, and now im trying to adapt my game and his thinking into my game, sems to be working just gotta keep at it.

TY once again matey.
    Evo397bhp
    Evo397bhp

SPS Chips : 785
    Favourite hand : High stakes JJ, HiLo A33K Ds

Post  Evo397bhp Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:27 am

good rep rick..

Most of what I play are RB's as the risk/reward payouts are far better and 1st tend to look for games that will bust the GTD prize money.

Like rick start with a double stack, but my game stratergy depends on the buy-in in stars $100 rb, while the RB period is running my average game tends to be a 20-22% range and a 16-17% raise range (about like a cash game)trying to keep pots on the smaller side. After RB period drop to around 15% range and around the same as raise range until cash bubble time.

On games below $30, players are far more loose, so I tend to be far more tight in RB so a 11% range is not uncommon for me to run, like any mid range poc pairs 44 - 99 as you will often be in 3 or 4 way pots and when you hit a bream 27A flop 4 way the EV on your set of 7's is fantastic, due to most players in this range running the "ANY A, ANY PLAY" twatard rule so you know your getting stacks in on these flops so play agressive on any flopped set and fold to any missed set, means you can be more selective in your range. After the RB period I become more active to around the same 15% range.

In any game if my dbl start stack is bust in RB period, it depends on how it was but and the game feel if I RB, but if I do will always be a dbl stack again.
    MADV
    MADV

SPS Chips : 1369
    Favourite hand : AA - the suit, quite frankly, is irrelevant

Post  MADV Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:28 am

Unfortunately, in all the examples you've all given, I think I'm the 'twatard' - oops Embarassed hide

I guess that's where I've been going wrong. I always like to have a monster stack after the rebuy because I play that stack very well. I'm almost useless at small stack poker because I just get too bored. In the rebuy period I'll call all-ins just because I feel like it - I guess this is where I've been going wrong all along.

Hope you're doing well, Danny.
    danowski69

Post  danowski69 Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:15 am

In the rebuy i can to a halt with MR IM AS WILD AS A FKING MAD HATTER! This guy rebought 14times and after rebuy period, im on 24k he's on 60k... raise 5xbb with AQs and this nutter calls, flop 99Q.. im in it for the long run, and he digs into the tank, and moves all in, instant call. to see his K9o!!!! ooops

In looking back, i should of thought about it, before the instant call... but how can i get away from that, when im committed.. to see AA KK id of being happy to go out.. but calling K9o?? Plain madness, that i cant get away from.

So on to the next one.....

TY for all the adivce chaps. king
    Evo397bhp
    Evo397bhp

Post  Evo397bhp Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:33 am

MADV wrote:Unfortunately, in all the examples you've all given, I think I'm the 'twatard' - oops Embarassed hide

I guess that's where I've been going wrong. I always like to have a monster stack after the rebuy because I play that stack very well. I'm almost useless at small stack poker because I just get too bored. In the rebuy period I'll call all-ins just because I feel like it - I guess this is where I've been going wrong all along.

Hope you're doing well, Danny.

Come on Vad, your no twatard.

SOX
    SOX
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor

SPS Chips : 17
    Favourite hand : 108 clubs

Post  SOX Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:50 am

errrrmmm,any pot that =s over 10k in the 1st hour call any 2,get a stack for the 2nd hour and get a bad image...then rape em no vaseline after the break...but seriously....wtf do i know....xxxx
    wildrick
    wildrick
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor

SPS Chips : 2238
    Favourite hand : 10sJs

Post  wildrick Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:58 am

SOX wrote:errrrmmm,any pot that =s over 10k in the 1st hour call any 2,get a stack for the 2nd hour and get a bad image...then rape em no vaseline after the break...

yeahthat

this sums it up quite well, in a rebuy you want 2 things by the break - A big stack and a smackhead image rock on
    Evo397bhp
    Evo397bhp

Post  Evo397bhp Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:28 pm

feck me, my image is soooo bad I don't need to do much to feck it up any more !!!... f1sh
    danowski69

Post  danowski69 Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:10 am

Im with you there m8, ot sure whats happeing to me but ive tightened up tighter then a knats ass and its killing me!

Ive read Gus' book and now onto a new one, now let me just tell u....the 1st 19 pages are all about this bloke slaggin online poker, telling u the downsides and making it seem like its a shower of shit! Im dying to get to a page where he has anything good to say!
    And the book is called....KILLER ONLINE POKER....

Well ya killing me m8 so get to the good points.

Ive wanted to delete all poker sites of the laptop he makes it sound so bad!

So i read Gus, and wanted to use some of it and improve my game, i read this monkey nut and now i want to commit poker suicide and throw the laptop in the bin!!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
    MADV
    MADV

SPS Chips : 1369
    Favourite hand : AA - the suit, quite frankly, is irrelevant

Post  MADV Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:43 am

danowski69 wrote:[...]i want to commit poker suicide and throw the laptop in the bin!!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

This will be more profitable in the long run!

hide
    danowski69

Post  danowski69 Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:41 am

You should try stand up mate, then u can end up like frankie boyle....a total piss head when it all goes wrong

hide
    zeheckle
    zeheckle

SPS Chips : 80

Post  zeheckle Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:31 am

im a rb muff i lovvvveeeee ittttt

what ppl said above is the way most ppl play them so no need to add anything Smile
    irishboy296

SPS Chips : 84
    Favourite hand : 7 2 offsuit

Post  irishboy296 Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:44 am

zeheckle wrote:im a rb muff i lovvvveeeee ittttt

what ppl said above is the way most ppl play them so no

need to add anything Smile

just dont push aces or anything worthwhile on laddies cos you will be muffed tongue
    zeheckle
    zeheckle

SPS Chips : 80

Post  zeheckle Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:43 am

i shove all my big hands in rb hr pointless raising 80 chips and losing and rather lose aip if i was going to lose
    Bubster
    Bubster

SPS Chips : 396

Post  Bubster Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:12 pm

as far as im concerned, in rebuy hour pairs are your money cards, getting in multiway pots with them, never trying to raise it up and scare people off, giving yourself more chance of getting paid off when you hit you're set. I dont play A2-AJ much at this stage, and don't like to put much in with AQ either. I'm quite happy playing suited connectors as long as there are enough people in the pot to may me off Wink

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 4:40 pm