SharkPokerSchool Forum

Hi and welcome to our SPS Forum!

Only our forum members are eligible for our freerolls, cheaprolls, forum games, and other promotions; so if you haven't registered, please sign up, it only takes a minute!

Any problems or questions please email us at admin@sharkpokerschool.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SharkPokerSchool Forum

Hi and welcome to our SPS Forum!

Only our forum members are eligible for our freerolls, cheaprolls, forum games, and other promotions; so if you haven't registered, please sign up, it only takes a minute!

Any problems or questions please email us at admin@sharkpokerschool.com

SharkPokerSchool Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SharkPokerSchool Forum
www.SharkPokerSchool.com....  Hi Guest, welcome to the SPS Forum!..... Welcome to our newest member darrayb..... Don't forget our friendly weekly forum game, and wp to last Sunday's winner, xBEASTx!!!

+2
Bubster
Chipped
6 posters

call or fold?

Chipped
    Chipped

SPS Chips : 134
    Favourite hand : Posh dog (k9 suited)

call or fold? Empty call or fold?

Post  Chipped Tue May 12, 2009 5:49 pm

4 left in a 3000 chip $50 10 seat stt, usual payouts, you have 11k ish, one guy on 13k ish, and 2 guys with 3-4k. QQ in the bb (800), and both shorties fold, sb 13k goes all in.

simply - call or fold?

and hypothetically, what about 1010 or JJ in this spot?
    Bubster
    Bubster

SPS Chips : 396

call or fold? Empty Re: call or fold?

Post  Bubster Tue May 12, 2009 6:03 pm

call with QQ, fold with 1010, time out whilst deciding with JJ....
    JunkStar
    JunkStar

SPS Chips : 4

Post  JunkStar Mon May 18, 2009 3:32 pm

I see it this way, maybe i'm wrong, if you are in it to win it you call with qq, if you are in it to place in the money you fold.
    however you need to take into account how that player has been.

1010 and jj are both folds unless you are sure he is stealing, but you may be racing for all your chips and get felted when you could fold and live to outplay him in a later hand. lose the battle but win the war type of thing

In my opinion
    KunkuWap
    KunkuWap
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor

SPS Chips : 47

Post  KunkuWap Mon May 18, 2009 9:36 pm

without thinking you call with QQ JJ and 10-10.

i assume the blinds are 400-800 thats 1200 in middle which increases your stack by 10% you only have around 12 BB or so...it is correct for the SB to push close to 90% or more of his hands there esp given the other stacks and your fear of not wanting to come bubble.

MUST SNAP CALL !!!
    phinnies1
    phinnies1
    Admin

SPS Chips : 121

Post  phinnies1 Wed May 20, 2009 12:52 pm

I dont believe I have ever folded QQ in an STT I cant think of a scenario where I would, I think if I did I may consider giving up poker.
    Hope that answers your question.
    JPK
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor

SPS Chips : 3

Post  JPK Wed May 20, 2009 1:24 pm

First of all, where do they have 3k $50 stts online anymore, or is this live? I'd kill to play some 3-500s with such a structure lol

This is standard, yet perhaps a tad spewy from your fellow big stack. Obviously it's player dependent on your read, but on the bubble of an stt the dynamic is usually such for the big stack to bully. If it's two bigs and two smalls, if the other player is semi decent he will pile all sorts of pressure on you, knowing that it's hard for you to call to get the advantage of 3 handed/HU, in short he's playing for 1st. I mean, you've posted on a forum asking if QQ is a call here, so you've already thought about laying it down so it says it all really, doesn't it?

The question for the long term is, because this situation comes up all the time, how wide is oppos range? What do you need to call? QQ here is a snap call, so is AK/AQ/JJ and probably TT under ANY circumstances. But when you're sat there with 99/88/AJ/AT, this is where the best stt players excel from standard/breakeven/small losers & winners by consistently making the right call/fold.

Also, put yourself in your oppos shoes, is a push correct 100% of the time here? Could he raise to 2200 with junk and pass to a shove? Always be thinking.

In this situation he can only have AK that you're "worried" about. He isn't open shoving QQ+, probably not JJ/TT. Everything else is 30% at best.

So if QQ is a call, so is JJ/TT/AQ and perhaps even AJ/AT/KQ DEPENDING ON THE OPPONENT. If oppo shoves 100% of the time here you have to make a choice of either taking a stand or waiting 'til the bubble bursts. Neither is wrong, but don't change your mind 2 or 3 orbits in because he's already won the battle.
    Bubster
    Bubster

SPS Chips : 396

Post  Bubster Fri May 22, 2009 5:34 pm

JPK wrote:First of all, where do they have 3k $50 stts online anymore, or is this live? I'd kill to play some 3-500s with such a structure lol

This is standard, yet perhaps a tad spewy from your fellow big stack. Obviously it's player dependent on your read, but on the bubble of an stt the dynamic is usually such for the big stack to bully. If it's two bigs and two smalls, if the other player is semi decent he will pile all sorts of pressure on you, knowing that it's hard for you to call to get the advantage of 3 handed/HU, in short he's playing for 1st. I mean, you've posted on a forum asking if QQ is a call here, so you've already thought about laying it down so it says it all really, doesn't it?

The question for the long term is, because this situation comes up all the time, how wide is oppos range? What do you need to call? QQ here is a snap call, so is AK/AQ/JJ and probably TT under ANY circumstances. But when you're sat there with 99/88/AJ/AT, this is where the best stt players excel from standard/breakeven/small losers & winners by consistently making the right call/fold.

Also, put yourself in your oppos shoes, is a push correct 100% of the time here? Could he raise to 2200 with junk and pass to a shove? Always be thinking.

In this situation he can only have AK that you're "worried" about. He isn't open shoving QQ+, probably not JJ/TT. Everything else is 30% at best.

So if QQ is a call, so is JJ/TT/AQ and perhaps even AJ/AT/KQ DEPENDING ON THE OPPONENT. If oppo shoves 100% of the time here you have to make a choice of either taking a stand or waiting 'til the bubble bursts. Neither is wrong, but don't change your mind 2 or 3 orbits in because he's already won the battle.

Nice post, especially the last bit. i always find myself making a big fold towards the end of stts, and then having to take the same guy on with worse 3 laps later.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 4:37 am