SharkPokerSchool Forum

Hi and welcome to our SPS Forum!

Only our forum members are eligible for our freerolls, cheaprolls, forum games, and other promotions; so if you haven't registered, please sign up, it only takes a minute!

Any problems or questions please email us at admin@sharkpokerschool.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SharkPokerSchool Forum

Hi and welcome to our SPS Forum!

Only our forum members are eligible for our freerolls, cheaprolls, forum games, and other promotions; so if you haven't registered, please sign up, it only takes a minute!

Any problems or questions please email us at admin@sharkpokerschool.com

SharkPokerSchool Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SharkPokerSchool Forum
www.SharkPokerSchool.com....  Hi Guest, welcome to the SPS Forum!..... Welcome to our newest member darrayb..... Don't forget our friendly weekly forum game, and wp to last Sunday's winner, xBEASTx!!!

4 posters

New to cash

trapsetter
    trapsetter

SPS Chips : 249

New to cash Empty New to cash

Post  trapsetter Sat May 23, 2009 5:49 am

Hi

I have played mainly STT sngs and MTTs and for the past month i have switched to Cash games.

Before i switched i promised to myself to get hold of Harrington on Cash games, which i did, and have followed the book and built up a decent starting hand requirements chart for myself choosing to neglect mostly the frequency of deception unless the situation arises where im up against someone thats easily exploitable. The reason is simply because im at the very bottom of micro stakes and want to bet my hands for value because they are mostly playing (SERIOUSLY) any 2 cards.

I am now concentrating on trying to improve my postflop game with the book, so have a long way to go yet!!

I have been reviewing my play and trying to catch any videos out there to help my game and recently i was watching a video where the hero is playing very aggressive and loose.... (doing very well)

My main concern is am i missing HUGE profit by not playing this way??

Im playing very strictly TAG style and find it sometimes to be very hard going!!

Im currently trying to improve my post flop play at the moment and watching all of these intricate moves of 3-betting light and 4-betting light and being really aggressive in LP,
    Dont get me wrong, i mean i have 3bet light in very rare occasions where i simply just know that i can get those passive types to fold!!
    i kind of feel like...
    "am i really up to all of this"
    "am i ever going to be good enough to play like this??"

Ive been profitable with just my starting hand requirements alone at the moment so i do have faith in the TAG style but impatience gets tested hugely sometimes.

Just wanted to get some thoughts out and will be glad of any ideas or opinions, dont care how harsh or complimentary..... Wink

One final note, i really enjoy 6max games and done quite well in online tourneys with them before, but steer clear of them at the moment due to the bigger BR required and the variance.....
    (ehem err well i did play a few cash games 6max as a 1 off the other day)
    wildrick
    wildrick
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor

SPS Chips : 2238
    Favourite hand : 10sJs

New to cash Empty Re: New to cash

Post  wildrick Sun May 24, 2009 6:31 pm

nice post traps

a few things spring to mind str8 away...

Theres a massive difference between M/Stts and cash tables. Ive made a living off mtts for 4 years, but ive never been more than a break even cash player really, except for omaha and hilo. I just dont enjoy cash games enough to concentrate on improving my game. I also find my mtt game is affected a bit by playing lots of cash.

Different players suit different styles and games - I'm not saying you cant switch, but be aware that you need a different style of play at a cash table.

when you say you've been watching videos, have you been watching videos of the same level youve been playing at? A lot of moves that work at 1/2 wont be as succesful at 0.25/.50.

One thing that mtt players dont appreciate enough or make enough use of is that when playing cash you can choose your own opponents, rather than being randomly placed at a table.

Observe tables before you sit down, how is everyone playing? Whos the table bully? Whos the fish? Typically a TAG style works best against passive calling stations. Dont just sit down and jump in, watch for a bit, if you dont fancy it, move on. Theres plenty of fish around.

Set realistic loss limits, and stick to them.

Pay attention to your own table image. A TAG style works far far better if everyone on the table thinks your a loose donkey. And LAG obv works better if the table thinks you're a rock.

Lastly, and most importantly - the more "interesting" playing styles all rely on experience and reading ability, and are much harder to play succesfully because of it. If you can become a profitable tight cash player it's much easier to then improve your game and introduce some more creative plays.
    trapsetter
    trapsetter

Post  trapsetter Mon May 25, 2009 6:39 am

Thanks Rick

In regards to the approach of playing cash, i have literally become a buddist monk and taken in all that i have read and have put tournament play out the way when it comes to cash.

Your right about the videos, i have to watch them with a pinch of salt.

Table selection is something i am aware of and apply what you have mentioned..... Fish on my right... tight passive on my left.

I have not really thought about my image so will put a sticker on my screen to remind me.

Patience is a big thing for me, if im going to improve then i need to be honest with myself, patience patience patience.

Its a big leak for me sometimes, ive thought about what i can do to help me stop from getting bored/distracted and the options were to start multitabling, however, im still learning and i have multitabled before and done it succesfully, BUT, i feel like i havent learnt anything from doing it apart from learning what its like to be a grinder and feel it doesnt actually improve my game.

I concentrate on my table and take notes and practice reading hands when im not involved in the hand, but i still start to drift off.

So my next option is to play 6max!!!
    In harrington cash game book it all applies to full ring tables, so i have searched around and found a few strategies and starting hand requirements and have already had some success with it.

Again if anyone has any suggestions etc, then would be glad to hear them!!
    KunkuWap
    KunkuWap
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor

SPS Chips : 47

Post  KunkuWap Mon May 25, 2009 9:19 am

Could write pages on this question but i think the simple answer is it really depends on your mental stability and what you want to achieve. If you want to make consistent money, regularly, playing TAG is absolutely fine. In fact, i won't even describe it as TAG as everyone uses these acronyms and phrases without even agreeing on what it means.

I will say this, it is great that you are watching videos but REMEMBER you are only watching them play...you should take little points from it and try to incorporate it into your game NOT copy it. You MUST develop a style of poker that you are COMFORTABLE with not thinking AM I UP TO THIS? If you are asking yourself those questinos, then you are not comfortable and wont be able to have a very successful future in my opinion.

You don't need to play loose and agerssive to be a big winning player. Especially as the games are getting even more agressive there is definitely room to say that tight is the new profitable style of being the old "LAG".

IMO the best thing to do is try various styles, mixes of stuff and whatever you feel comfortable with, withing your mindset, your goals and your BR and do that.

Always experiment...but ultimately do what feels comfortable and wins. Use a tracking software to make sure you are not lieng to yourself and you know your results. Hold Em Manager is best IMO.

best of luck

john

p.s. where are you playing?
    trapsetter
    trapsetter

Post  trapsetter Mon May 25, 2009 10:29 am

Thanks John

Taken evrything on board and will let you know how i do on the 6max tables.

I must admit your bang on about being comfortable playing MY style, as watching these videos can be very distracting.

In answer to your question i am playing these at Pokestars and this leads me to another question:
    If playing the 01.02c tables, should i buy in for 200BBs or the table max??

I personally think 200bbs is enough, any thoughts??
    thanks again!!
    trapsetter
    trapsetter

Post  trapsetter Mon May 25, 2009 10:54 am

Also
    I have recently got HM, im trying to find out how best to use it to its full potential.

I have seen a video about using it and spotting leaks etc but i still have only a small database at present.

If anyone has any tips on this it would be great to hear them!!!
    Chipped
    Chipped

SPS Chips : 134
    Favourite hand : Posh dog (k9 suited)

Post  Chipped Sat May 30, 2009 5:21 am

gl with it trapsetter

both ric and Johns comments about videos are on the money - dont try and copy someone elses game, and dont watch higher level vids for anything other than entertainment. Had a mentor session from sps and the first thing they said was that its not about making you play like the mentor, its about taking your game and improving it, spotting the little things that you do wrong and sorting them out - something its near impossible to do from a video.
    Chipped
    Chipped

SPS Chips : 134
    Favourite hand : Posh dog (k9 suited)

Post  Chipped Sat May 30, 2009 5:22 am

Chipped wrote:
    Had a mentor session from sps

money well spent by the way, looking forward to the next one!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:09 am