SharkPokerSchool Forum

Hi and welcome to our SPS Forum!

Only our forum members are eligible for our freerolls, cheaprolls, forum games, and other promotions; so if you haven't registered, please sign up, it only takes a minute!

Any problems or questions please email us at admin@sharkpokerschool.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SharkPokerSchool Forum

Hi and welcome to our SPS Forum!

Only our forum members are eligible for our freerolls, cheaprolls, forum games, and other promotions; so if you haven't registered, please sign up, it only takes a minute!

Any problems or questions please email us at admin@sharkpokerschool.com

SharkPokerSchool Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SharkPokerSchool Forum
www.SharkPokerSchool.com....  Hi Guest, welcome to the SPS Forum!..... Welcome to our newest member darrayb..... Don't forget our friendly weekly forum game, and wp to last Sunday's winner, xBEASTx!!!

+6
wildrick
sexyamy83
Evo397bhp
Bainn
the hoooders
vicky016
10 posters

which is the best site to play and learn ?

vicky016

SPS Chips : 8

which is the best site to play and learn ? Empty which is the best site to play and learn ?

Post  vicky016 Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:59 pm

Hi everyone pretty cool place this. Which is the best site to learn poker ? I have played on laddies and party poker so far.
    the hoooders
    the hoooders

SPS Chips : 1368
    Favourite hand : q 10 hearts

which is the best site to play and learn ? Empty Re: which is the best site to play and learn ?

Post  the hoooders Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:07 pm

vicky016 wrote:Hi everyone pretty cool place this. Which is the best site to learn poker ? I have played on laddies and party poker so far.
    i would say one best places to learn would be here,ask away with qusetions and i more than sure you will get top advice of the peeps on here,
    tell us a bit about ya self,how long you been playin ect Wink oh and welcome to our forum drinkin
    Bainn
    Bainn
    Beardy Mod

SPS Chips : 2724
    Favourite hand : 5-4 off "The Bainn"

which is the best site to play and learn ? Empty Re: which is the best site to play and learn ?

Post  Bainn Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:16 pm

Good question.

Do you pick a site with soft/bad players like Party or PKR, learn against tougher opponents on Full Tilt ? Maybe it's a huge variety of games you require ?, then 'Stars is for you.

Even a cardroom like Blackbelt poker that has it's own community and hand discussion boards are best.

Any specifics you are trying to learn ?
    Evo397bhp
    Evo397bhp

SPS Chips : 785
    Favourite hand : High stakes JJ, HiLo A33K Ds

Post  Evo397bhp Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:47 pm

Laddies will give you a good grounding with good structure, even when run by Micrograbbing software.

If you after large GTD tourneys then stars but the fields are large but only 15% of these can play, Fulltilt for slightly smaller fields and far better payout structure for making a FT, and any ipoker site for a throw and hope game !
    vicky016

Post  vicky016 Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:08 pm

im 25 been playing about 2-3 months never played live just learning really iv won 3 tourneys on party poker and one on laddies and had a few FTs. Pokerkenny introduced me to this site (thanks kenny). My boyfriend (paul016) sometimes plays under my alias so if im rude its usually him lol. I know a very good player called TOPPPO whom you might know I get a lot of tips off him he plays on laddies, mansion, and betfair and does this for a living with his knowledge and help from sps members I can have fun and get paid and meet some weird and wonderful people lol
    sexyamy83
    sexyamy83

SPS Chips : 265
    Favourite hand : 2 7 offsuit aslong as its against a weak opponent

Post  sexyamy83 Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:23 pm

Hi Vicky,

Id say pokerstars is a very good place to learn the game as opposed to ipoker as you will find some pretty bad play on ipoker which wont help your development.Ladbrokes is also good if your 1 or 2 tabling. Id recommend posting on forums like this aswell as maybe watching the skypoker channel if your pretty new to the game. It really helped me learn the game at the beginning so hopefully you will pick some stuff off there.
    Bainn
    Bainn
    Beardy Mod

Post  Bainn Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:37 pm

I would only suggest Skypoker to the greenest of new players and even then with some reticence.

Am I the only one who does not hate Ipoker ??
    sexyamy83
    sexyamy83

Post  sexyamy83 Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:58 pm

I wouldnt recommend sky poker to play, but just to watch.

As for ipoker, yes i think you are the only one who likes the site . Twisted Evil
    Bainn
    Bainn
    Beardy Mod

Post  Bainn Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:06 pm

sexyamy83 wrote:I wouldnt recommend sky poker to play, but just to watch.

As for ipoker, yes i think you are the only one who likes the site . Twisted Evil

Groovy, I concur about watching the show.

Sigh, I am always the minority.
    sexyamy83
    sexyamy83

Post  sexyamy83 Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:55 pm

Bainn wrote:

Some of the presenters are quite fit too. Cool
    wildrick
    wildrick
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor

SPS Chips : 2238
    Favourite hand : 10sJs

Post  wildrick Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:56 pm

hi vicky, and welcome to our forum!
    khenny
    khenny
    McLairy Mod

SPS Chips : 1686
    Favourite hand : Aces. What else would you want?

Post  khenny Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:21 am

Hi Vicky, glad you decided to join us. I spoke to you long before Xmas I think but at least you're here now!

I think Ladbrokes is a decent place to learn as there are quite a few smaller field MTT's.

Also I would strongly suggest you play some high stack games, these allow you to play a wider range of hands while learning the game and getting a feel for the sort of style you may want to develop.

Glad to have you along and don't forget we have a forum game every Sunday on Ladbrokes.

welcome welcome
    MADV
    MADV

SPS Chips : 1369
    Favourite hand : AA - the suit, quite frankly, is irrelevant

Post  MADV Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:38 am

Bainn wrote:

I too, like iPoker. The Hilo on there is very soft and if I didn't work Mon-Fri and look after the kids at the weekend (oh and actually enjoy spending time with my partner NOT sat at the laptop) then I'd play this every night. There are many other sites like this too. Why people want to play sites with better players is still a mystery to me. scratch
    Bainn
    Bainn
    Beardy Mod

Post  Bainn Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:58 am

MADV wrote:
    Bainn wrote:

I too, like iPoker. The Hilo on there is very soft and if I didn't work Mon-Fri and look after the kids at the weekend (oh and actually enjoy spending time with my partner NOT sat at the laptop) then I'd play this every night. There are many other sites like this too. Why people want to play sites with better players is still a mystery to me. scratch

Tis a mystery to me also, surely profit comes from the bad players we encounter ?
    MADV
    MADV

Post  MADV Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:56 am

Bainn wrote:
    Tis a mystery to me also, surely profit comes from the bad players we encounter ?

I used to knock the ffsh each and every night I played, Bainn. I doubt it mattered much as they keep coming back for more. Only now am I learning that it's also the rocks that make tournaments have real value for me. How else am I supposed to win when completely card dead (every live game I play!)?

I think, therefore, it takes all kinds of people in the game to make it profitable, but I certainly don't want any pros there. Without wanting to swell their heads, I've only ever played with two opponents that have slapped me silly and stopped my game - AJ and Strummer.
    Bainn
    Bainn
    Beardy Mod

Post  Bainn Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:27 am

MADV wrote:
    Bainn wrote:

I used to knock the ffsh each and every night I played, Bainn. I doubt it mattered much as they keep coming back for more. Only now am I learning that it's also the rocks that make tournaments have real value for me. How else am I supposed to win when completely card dead (every live game I play!)?

I think, therefore, it takes all kinds of people in the game to make it profitable, but I certainly don't want any pros there. Without wanting to swell their heads, I've only ever played with two opponents that have slapped me silly and stopped my game - AJ and Strummer.

Let's hope AJ is not on your table in the team event.
    CARNIVORE04
    CARNIVORE04

SPS Chips : 1377

Post  CARNIVORE04 Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:44 pm

vicky016 wrote:Hi everyone pretty cool place this. Which is the best site to learn poker ? I have played on laddies and party poker so far.

Hi and welcome Vicky !

When i started playing poker back in the day (lol) i played on pacific poker where i thought i got to a decent level.
    Cash outs there were horrendous and i hear they still are but at that time i was introduced to Ladbrokes and gave it a whirl and i must say the level there was so much better and i struggled for a while. It was peppered with excellent players and i have to say i learnt a lot from the old school as i think it raised my game well i know it did.

Anyway i think you could be at much worse places to learn your trade as it still has many many good players.
    MADV
    MADV

Post  MADV Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:42 am

CARNIVORE04 wrote:

Hi and welcome Vicky !

When i started playing poker back in the day (lol) i played on pacific poker where i thought i got to a decent level.
    Cash outs there were horrendous and i hear they still are but at that time i was introduced to Ladbrokes and gave it a whirl and i must say the level there was so much better and i struggled for a while. It was peppered with excellent players and i have to say i learnt a lot from the old school as i think it raised my game well i know it did.

Anyway i think you could be at much worse places to learn your trade as it still has many many good players.

I actualy agree that Ladbrokes contains some of the better players and think we're all still mad to be playign there. We all know that Ladbrokes, because of the community, is highly addictive and takes as much to kick it as does cigarettes. There is far better games, choice, value, worse players and all sorts out there if you look. The one thing it does have going for it is the banking. Other than that, the main reason I no longer play is that Microgaming through Ladbrokes takes 100% CPU no matter what I do. I've tried it on many PC's and the only ones that run well are dual core where it's limited to 50%. No other poker skin takes anywhere near this level of CPU.

As for the learning aspect, I suppose it's best here because of the community. People are open and will freely discuss hands giving you information. I do, however, think a good book is better than just playing on Ladbrokes.
    vicky016

Post  vicky016 Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:40 pm

Thanks people im swaying towards party poker because I always seem to do better on there although like madv said laddies is addictive
    Davejacks

SPS Chips : 53

Post  Davejacks Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:24 pm

MADV wrote:
    Bainn wrote:

yeahthat good post

i'd take a table of rocks any day over a table of lunatic fish, tho i suppose its always nice to have a couple Wink
    Davejacks

SPS Chips : 53

Post  Davejacks Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:28 pm

as for the op, I think most sites are fairly similar in terms of overall standard, if youre still learning then you may a well join a lot of different sites, play the freerolls, and see which take your fancy, based on ease of use, design, range of games, colour scheme, etc.

If I really had to pick a site with less fish and more reasonable players id probably say ladbrokes, although only in their own games, the network itself is similar to everywhere else. Stars, Party, full tilt, and sky poker, might all have slightly higher fish %.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:05 am