SharkPokerSchool Forum

Hi and welcome to our SPS Forum!

Only our forum members are eligible for our freerolls, cheaprolls, forum games, and other promotions; so if you haven't registered, please sign up, it only takes a minute!

Any problems or questions please email us at admin@sharkpokerschool.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SharkPokerSchool Forum

Hi and welcome to our SPS Forum!

Only our forum members are eligible for our freerolls, cheaprolls, forum games, and other promotions; so if you haven't registered, please sign up, it only takes a minute!

Any problems or questions please email us at admin@sharkpokerschool.com

SharkPokerSchool Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SharkPokerSchool Forum
www.SharkPokerSchool.com....  Hi Guest, welcome to the SPS Forum!..... Welcome to our newest member darrayb..... Don't forget our friendly weekly forum game, and wp to last Sunday's winner, xBEASTx!!!

+3
Chris
Evo397bhp
danowski69
7 posters

Its that time again...BIG decision to be made.

danowski69

SPS Chips : 2455

Its that time again...BIG decision to be made. Empty Its that time again...BIG decision to be made.

Post  danowski69 Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:53 am

Well peeps, BT has asked me the question.

Once the financial year comes to an end, all senior management recieve an email, asking if anyone would like to take a leavers payment.

Basically, they are trying to reduce cost and head count going into the new financial year.

Previously ive ignored this option as ive wanted to work my way up, and love working for BT, HOWEVER......

This time the pay packet is too nice to decline..(i think)
    Its one months salary, for every year i have been there, plus this months wages, and a pension when im 60 of £4k a year.

Ive being with BT 12 years now so the lump sum is very attractive.

BUT.............

What next?
    Take the payment find a new job and hate it?
    Not find a new job for months and go crazy?
    Take it, love the new challenge and at 28 yrs sit there and say im free from any form of debt, (except my mortgage) and have the freedom to do what ever i want?

I have till the close of business on the 19th to accept or decline the offer...

What would you do?
    Evo397bhp
    Evo397bhp

SPS Chips : 785
    Favourite hand : High stakes JJ, HiLo A33K Ds

Its that time again...BIG decision to be made. Empty Re: Its that time again...BIG decision to be made.

Post  Evo397bhp Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:45 am

If you enjoy your job then keep it m8t, as all ya getting is 1years wage !

I retired at 41 but only when I could sell my company and get 6+ years money from the sale post tax, and had a new career to move to.
    danowski69

Its that time again...BIG decision to be made. Empty Re: Its that time again...BIG decision to be made.

Post  danowski69 Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:50 am

I see your point, but to be DEBT FREE at 28, only owing my mortgage... is it too good to pass on?

Id get a pay out of £39-£42k depending on the exact amount of days and leave days im owed, plus bonus.

That would give me £35k to sit on, and go into a new job asap, i have already lined up an interview with O2 next week.

Its such a tough decision, but your comment is useful m8ty cheers.
    Chris

SPS Chips : 20
    Favourite hand : 7c9c

Post  Chris Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:48 am

I would definately keep my job mate.

35k won't last long if you can't find another job.

And you mention debt free EXCEPT from the mortgage, not sure of the relevance to this. Mortgage debt is still debt!
    danowski69

Post  danowski69 Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:01 am

Thats what i mean but EXCEPT the mortgage, i know full well that this is the biggest debt anyone will have, but on 35K id only pay out £600 a mth, so im thinking that, due to my experience and skills etc, it aint going to take me long at all to find another job.

A company called "Dreams" who sell beds (all over the tv)
    Have being in touch this morning, wanting me to go to Wednesbury on monday for a chat.. position for a "training area manager" company car, travel the country, expenses and a nice wedge to go with it.

So in 48hrs, thats 2 positive interviews..

Think that is making the decision easier.

With out sounding big headed, in my line of work and at my age, i have more experience and adaptability then most of my peers and that is attractive to new employers, especially seen as im loyal with 12yrs service to only ONE company since leaving school.

Only down side, is that i have to accept this pay offer by tomorrow night...

FLIP A COIN?
    BAINN WHAT ARE MY ODDS? lol
    Chris

SPS Chips : 20
    Favourite hand : 7c9c

Post  Chris Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:15 am

it's a huge decision to make mate.

I wish you every success whatever you decide Very Happy
    danowski69

Post  danowski69 Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:22 am

Thanks m8 for the kind words...

As i say when i play poker...NO GUTS NO GLORY.
    danowski69

Post  danowski69 Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:08 am

Decision made

Ive declined the offer.

After your adivce, and speaking to a few people its the right choice.

If i carry on ill get a pay progression in april anyway
    And staying put is very secure, plus i love what i do, and the money is great.

Can always take it next year if i decide too.

Lets hope i dont regret it :-)
    wildrick
    wildrick
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor

SPS Chips : 2238
    Favourite hand : 10sJs

Post  wildrick Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:21 am

looks like its a bit late but...

hard decision, needs more information, your position, hand strength, stack size? lol.

Personally I say take the 40k, and run, but only if you know in your head that you will make every effort to get a new job in the next month. If you're going to just sit off and chill for a year then its just a waste of time. New challenge and extra cash imo Smile
    danowski69

Post  danowski69 Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:29 am

Technically i havent pressed the decline button yet lol

My thinking is this

Ok o2 may give me the job, 38k car and pension, what if i hate it???

what if in 6mths i get made redundant?

where i am, im safe, probs a job for life really.

3k pay progression in april

It happens ever year so can take it next year, when my service will be the maximum 13 yrs service payout.

Its easy ish work, great friends and colleagues, plus benefits.

BUT 40K FKME! lol

arghhhhhhhhh i know im doing the right decision to knock it back, yes i could get another job inside 3mths let say, and im the kinda guy who will do anything to work.
    So that wouldnt worry me, but id probably not be happy.

Oh the joys of being me lol

Thanks for your opinion tho tricky :-)
    Discord
    Discord

SPS Chips : 220

Post  Discord Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:12 pm

Anyone with a job in this day and age who wilfully gives it up needs a brain transplant, regards of what sounds like good money. Money does not last, life is not cheap, bills have to be paid, and the jobs, whatever level and standard are not there.

Basically every company wants more for less these days - they will pay the minimum for the leadst experienced rather than pay for experience. There is no such thing as job security.

You got a job and health - keep it. Health and jobs decline and go just like that...
    danowski69

Post  danowski69 Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:16 pm

Wise words from a wise woman :-)
    MADV
    MADV

SPS Chips : 1369
    Favourite hand : AA - the suit, quite frankly, is irrelevant

Post  MADV Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:56 am

Discord wrote:Anyone with a job in this day and age who wilfully gives it up needs a brain transplant, regards of what sounds like good money. Money does not last, life is not cheap, bills have to be paid, and the jobs, whatever level and standard are not there.

Basically every company wants more for less these days - they will pay the minimum for the leadst experienced rather than pay for experience. There is no such thing as job security.

You got a job and health - keep it. Health and jobs decline and go just like that...

+1

I've several friends who took the money option (whether that be quitting because they didn't like the job, trying something fresh etc.) and 4 out of 5 still have no job. This ranges from 12 years in the most extreme case, to 3 months the last. I would never quit my job unless I had already secured another one.

Just my thoughts. As for you getting 38k a year at 28, I'm a Dr and don't get that. Where do I sign?

Vad
    danowski69

Post  danowski69 Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:32 pm

m8 ive been with the same company 12 yrs, since the day i left school, became a call centre muppet on 13k then upto team manager in 12mths on basic of 22k, then it went on from there, some of my friends, who also started at the same time 1 is now site director on 125k basic with 125k bonus, this mug dont do jack all yr then from jan-march he has to hit yr target, if he does it, then april he gets 125k bonus..if he misses, then tuff titty lol

BT have, and always will pay well for good people.

To say my salary is £32k with guarantee bonus taking me to £38k and i have the whole of the company training on my shoulders (i.e if i cant write it, how can they sell it?) then i feel 38k isnt enough anyway lol

The drama continues.......
    Muffer
    Muffer

SPS Chips : 163

Its that time again...BIG decision to be made. Empty very nice

Post  Muffer Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:19 am

Nice position to be in Dan,the money is nice but at same time your gona qualify for this at a later stage.
    Change is good but=if job secure and you know your comfortable why change...........?.
    Sounds nice 40k but in reality with mortgage its debt consolidation.
    Whats 4k pension gona be worth in 30years when depreciation value is worked out???????.
    Personally I bought into buy to let with tmb and find pensions ain,t worth the paper there written on unlessss there government funded ie forces or civil service pensions.
    Hope all goes well you seem to have a wise head on young shoulders gl
    danowski69

Post  danowski69 Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:02 am

Cheers m8ty.

As i see it, i need another job inside 4 weeks, then i wont realise the transition money wise, so the 45k will go directly into the bank and pay off a huge wack on my mortgage.

If i can do that then it makes sense, i also have 2.5k in shares and bonus of 1k for the next month, so ill have close to 47k, that will leave me in a great position.

I have today being to see the director of the o2 business where i live and he seems impressed. wants me there on thursday for a real interview.

So fingers crossed, and the start date is the 2nd week in april so in effect its like still having a job :-)

Thanks for the comments though m8
    MADV
    MADV

Post  MADV Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:14 am

danowski69 wrote:Cheers m8ty.

As i see it, i need another job inside 4 weeks, then i wont realise the transition money wise, so the 45k will go directly into the bank and pay off a huge wack on my mortgage.

If i can do that then it makes sense, i also have 2.5k in shares and bonus of 1k for the next month, so ill have close to 47k, that will leave me in a great position.

I have today being to see the director of the o2 business where i live and he seems impressed. wants me there on thursday for a real interview.

So fingers crossed, and the start date is the 2nd week in april so in effect its like still having a job :-)

Thanks for the comments though m8

Best of luck with it, Danny. Like I said, if you can se4cure alternative employment first, then I say go ahead.

Vad

PS - I'm not being funny, can you get me an interview? I'm a clever chap!
    danowski69

Post  danowski69 Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:58 am

LOL where u live m8? halifax...thats an hour to the new job...ill see what i can do. :-)
    MADV
    MADV

Post  MADV Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:28 pm

danowski69 wrote:LOL where u live m8? halifax...thats an hour to the new job...ill see what i can do. :-)

Cheers, fella Smile. I've got plenty of potential lol!
    danowski69

Post  danowski69 Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:29 pm

Yeah thats what worries me lol

Thought u were a Dr?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 1:17 am