SharkPokerSchool Forum

Hi and welcome to our SPS Forum!

Only our forum members are eligible for our freerolls, cheaprolls, forum games, and other promotions; so if you haven't registered, please sign up, it only takes a minute!

Any problems or questions please email us at admin@sharkpokerschool.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SharkPokerSchool Forum

Hi and welcome to our SPS Forum!

Only our forum members are eligible for our freerolls, cheaprolls, forum games, and other promotions; so if you haven't registered, please sign up, it only takes a minute!

Any problems or questions please email us at admin@sharkpokerschool.com

SharkPokerSchool Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SharkPokerSchool Forum
www.SharkPokerSchool.com....  Hi Guest, welcome to the SPS Forum!..... Welcome to our newest member darrayb..... Don't forget our friendly weekly forum game, and wp to last Sunday's winner, xBEASTx!!!

+5
remember91
wildrick
Banksoir
mohammed30
Dish77
9 posters

Quick question for all fellow sharkys...

Dish77

SPS Chips : 65

Quick question for all fellow sharkys... Empty Quick question for all fellow sharkys...

Post  Dish77 Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:07 am

Am chip leader in 3.5kg tourn on lads, i have 100k in chips and in the sb with q10 hearts, flop Kh Js 5h, I check it round and player bets pot (he has 40k in chips), I put him on KJ or set.. would you flat call or put him all in? Just wondering how others would play it...

Thanks for listening

x x x
    mohammed30
    mohammed30

SPS Chips : 0

Quick question for all fellow sharkys... Empty Re: Quick question for all fellow sharkys...

Post  mohammed30 Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:56 pm

Dish77 wrote:Am chip leader in 3.5kg tourn on lads, i have 100k in chips and in the sb with q10 hearts, flop Kh Js 5h, I check it round and player bets pot (he has 40k in chips), I put him on KJ or set.. would you flat call or put him all in? Just wondering how others would play it...

Thanks for listening

x x x
    id put him all in m8 and take the chance with all them outs,but thats just me shark
    Banksoir
    Banksoir
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor

SPS Chips : 50

Quick question for all fellow sharkys... Empty Re: Quick question for all fellow sharkys...

Post  Banksoir Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:38 pm

It's important to know what the blinds are in this situation, how he has been playing, how many left etc - all kep things to take into account before you make your decision - however on this info so far.....

100% I am check raising anyone all in - u have so many outs here and a chance you can pick up the pot wothout going to a showdown,

the only better scenario is to have 2 overcards as well!

what happened?
    wildrick
    wildrick
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor

SPS Chips : 2238
    Favourite hand : 10sJs

Post  wildrick Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:07 pm

not sure how much he has bet? whats the pot/bet?

If it's like 4k pot and 4k bet, i might just flat call, and try and take him for the whole 40k.

If it's a bit more, say 7-10k pot/bet, then I'd reraise to 30k looks slightly stronger. If its more id lump em in.

Be nice to see some blinds, other stacks, position, etc, but unless its a small pot bet, you may as well get them in.
    wildrick
    wildrick
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor

SPS Chips : 2238
    Favourite hand : 10sJs

Post  wildrick Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:11 pm

By the way, how are you putting him on KJ or set? Is he like uber-tight?
    remember91
    remember91

SPS Chips : 130

Post  remember91 Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:27 pm

what did u bet pre flop
    Overated
    Overated

SPS Chips : 472

Post  Overated Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:21 pm

Quick question for all fellow sharkys... Shipit-logo-442x
    KunkuWap
    KunkuWap
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor

SPS Chips : 47

Post  KunkuWap Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:36 pm

This question illustrates an important lack of understanding amongst most cash players trying to become tournament players.

There really isn't such a thing as right pot odds in a tournament. Just because you are in a scenario where if you call off your remaining chips on a draw because you have the correct pot odds doesn't make it the correct decision. Often if you have an edge over your opponents and your stack is playable it is right to fold to keep your tournament chips to find better and safer spots.

The example you gave is ludicrous because you cannot simply put someone on top 2 or a set by a single action. You haven't given us any information regarding what size the blinds or antes are. If they are large then it is very simple, you cover your opponent, it is likely he is betting as he has position plus you have an incredibly strong hand that is a favourite over nearly all holdings bar a set.

Contrary, if your opponent turns his hand over or he tells you he will not fold his hand, then it is stupid to get all the chips in the middle when you are flipping or a slight favourite. In that case you may as well see if you hit first, when you do put all the chips in as you know he will now call you regardless.

Simply put, if you have big draw and your opponent is too stupid or has strong hand that he wont fold there it is counterproductive to get all the chips in the middle on a flip when he will fully pay you off when you hit. In those cases take a look to see what the turn brings.

Of course this is just general ramblings, need to know A LOT more info to give precise anylsis.

gl
    dicie180
    dicie180

SPS Chips : -7

Post  dicie180 Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:45 am

KunkuWap wrote:This question illustrates an important lack of understanding amongst most cash players trying to become tournament players.

There really isn't such a thing as right pot odds in a tournament. Just because you are in a scenario where if you call off your remaining chips on a draw because you have the correct pot odds doesn't make it the correct decision. Often if you have an edge over your opponents and your stack is playable it is right to fold to keep your tournament chips to find better and safer spots.

The example you gave is ludicrous because you cannot simply put someone on top 2 or a set by a single action. You haven't given us any information regarding what size the blinds or antes are. If they are large then it is very simple, you cover your opponent, it is likely he is betting as he has position plus you have an incredibly strong hand that is a favourite over nearly all holdings bar a set.

Contrary, if your opponent turns his hand over or he tells you he will not fold his hand, then it is stupid to get all the chips in the middle when you are flipping or a slight favourite. In that case you may as well see if you hit first, when you do put all the chips in as you know he will now call you regardless.

Simply put, if you have big draw and your opponent is too stupid or has strong hand that he wont fold there it is counterproductive to get all the chips in the middle on a flip when he will fully pay you off when you hit. In those cases take a look to see what the turn brings.

Of course this is just general ramblings, need to know A LOT more info to give precise anylsis.

gl

Have to say, since i read this bit, it has been stuck in my head...
    Since the forum has started, this is the best bit of advice i have read or seen...

Having said something similar on another forum recently, bout folding a hand, even thou i may have been slight fav in the hand, but felt i didnt need to race and risk chips at that time, but was shot down in flames....

Excellent piece...

Dicie
    Dish77

SPS Chips : 65

Post  Dish77 Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:16 am

Reading some of your replies (Kunkuwap especailly), I now realise I made the wrong decision. There was about 80 or so players left, blinds were 400/800, 5 in the hand and he bet the pot (around 5k). I checked and went all in (I didnt hit btw) but now thinking about it actually knew he would call. Still learning guys even though been playing online for a few years, sometimes don't think about the big picture and just focus on the hand at the time.. give me time, I'll get there! Smile
    phinnies1
    phinnies1
    Admin

SPS Chips : 121

Post  phinnies1 Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:28 pm

With stacks this deep a check call is fine, I hate the check raise, I actually prefer a lead out bet, you get to define your hand much easier and may even win the pot there and then, if the player behind has hit a gin hand like top 2 on the flop he is unlikely to raise on this street, he will wait for the turn (unless it is very coordinated) By leading out you get to control how much goes in on the flop, its better than checking and facing (as you were) a pot sized bet and effectively you get a free card to turn your draw and possibly stack him.
    If you check call what do you do on the flop when you miss your hand and are faced with another pot sized bet. I think this is the cheapest way to see subsequent streets.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:20 am