SharkPokerSchool Forum

Hi and welcome to our SPS Forum!

Only our forum members are eligible for our freerolls, cheaprolls, forum games, and other promotions; so if you haven't registered, please sign up, it only takes a minute!

Any problems or questions please email us at admin@sharkpokerschool.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SharkPokerSchool Forum

Hi and welcome to our SPS Forum!

Only our forum members are eligible for our freerolls, cheaprolls, forum games, and other promotions; so if you haven't registered, please sign up, it only takes a minute!

Any problems or questions please email us at admin@sharkpokerschool.com

SharkPokerSchool Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SharkPokerSchool Forum
www.SharkPokerSchool.com....  Hi Guest, welcome to the SPS Forum!..... Welcome to our newest member darrayb..... Don't forget our friendly weekly forum game, and wp to last Sunday's winner, xBEASTx!!!

+3
Evo397bhp
wildrick
khenny
7 posters

Cash help

khenny
    khenny
    McLairy Mod

SPS Chips : 1686
    Favourite hand : Aces. What else would you want?

Cash help Empty Cash help

Post  khenny Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:17 pm

Any idea why some find it much easier to play cash as opposed to MTT or vice versa?

I find cash a real grind and although I usually get ahead I invariably end up twatting the dosh away to someone who catches their flush or hits their str8.

Rarely do I get my chips/money in behind.

Any books/tips you could suggest for cash?
    wildrick
    wildrick
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor

SPS Chips : 2238
    Favourite hand : 10sJs

Cash help Empty Re: Cash help

Post  wildrick Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:43 am

Hi Kenny,

I have a theory on this, that it just depends on where you're first decent win comes from, cash or mtt, and thats what youre likely to be most fond of. Psychological thing.

I'm not really a cash player, but I do have the occasional dabble, and I find table selection to be one of the most important factors. The main difference between MTTs and cash is the option to just get up and change tables whenever you like, so if you don't like your table for any reason, theres no reason to stick around, just choose another.

As for books, I'm just compiling the book review section for the main site, have a look there when it's done Wink
    Evo397bhp
    Evo397bhp

SPS Chips : 785
    Favourite hand : High stakes JJ, HiLo A33K Ds

Post  Evo397bhp Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:14 am

Agree in part with Rick, re where you start your poker life and a lot start in MTT's purely down to what they see as the buyin to 1st place ratio, i.e.: deposit $100 you can play 18 $5 buyin tourneys with 1st paying anywhere up to $10k (site dependant) that looks supper attractive compared to sitting down with a quarter of your wad at say at 25nl.

As for the game, when i moved from mainly tourney play to over to cash the player aggression factor took me by surprise on hands that as a tourney player would have been mucked in an instance, and i think a lot get caught by this then think all cash players are mad gamblers.

I'd recommend any tourney player moving to cash, start on Full Ring and not 6max where the aggression is much higher obviously and FR will play a closer game to what they have come to expect from tourneys, we all know table image is important but even more so in cash games if you have become "Super nitty" then any opening action on your part almost polarises your hand even before the flop drops (if you even get that far) so you will find your premium hands getting caned on dead looking flops where you have been set mined or a draw heavy board as there is that underlying factor of re-loading.

Like Rick says, table selection is king unless it's FR at Laddies then your choice of tables is zero, and this is where software comes in big time, I'd recommend tracking software without even blinking, my choice after running PT2 then PT3 is Holdem Manager without question, poker tracker 2 is good and solid but is out of date on the feature front making it harder work when looking for leaks, and as for PT3 well that's a joke (IMO) falls down far to regular, Holdem Manager I've found to be solid and robust in every way, HUD works faultless even running double digit tables and more important does not clash with AHK scripts and table selection software.

On table selection software I'd suggest "Spadeit" range i use Spade eye and Telescope (as you cant use spade eye on Stars any more) this will link into your database to find players and tables on a site that suite the variable you set for that session, i.e.: V$IP, PFR, Blind level, table size etc etc, then direct you straight to that seat, the time saved in fantastic, of cause you can do it all without the software but takes 100 times longer.

I've also found (and done myself) that tourney players have a difficult time early on in there cash game days of dropping down levels and Bankroll management is critical in cash games, but I've watched players persevere at say 200nl when the game is crushing them, when what there lacking is experience in the cash arena opposed to there over all skill level, it's far better to drop to 100nl or 50nl cut your teeth on a game where your earning than one where your spewing, although i don't advocate playing "micro stakes" (unless for fun, burn off going on tilt, or trying out software or multi tabling) as bellow 50nl the whole games texture changes bellow this level.

Cash for a Wage : Tourney for Glory
    BigSlick0977

SPS Chips : -3

Post  BigSlick0977 Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:28 pm

I have a fantastic cash game anthology which explains almost everything you would ever want to know about cash games. The only thing is, I got it from the 2 + 2 forums. Still, very handy if I can upload it somehow. It's an htm file with links to each subject, but each link takes you to an archived page on the 2 + 2 forum.
    trapsetter
    trapsetter

SPS Chips : 249

Post  trapsetter Fri May 22, 2009 6:24 pm

A very quick way to pick a seat i found... this is at micro stakes BTW... is to click on a table and look for the people that are not replenishing their stacks, so if they are sitting there with just over half a buyin then you can be pretty sure they are not thinking about profitable poker.

The trick is then to get seated (preferably next to them) on your right. Dont worry if the table is full, click on wait and go look for another table... theres too many to choose from!!! When you get notified that a seat is available, have a look to see if you are on their left!! try to get next to them if possible and even better with tight players to your left!!!
    Bubster
    Bubster

SPS Chips : 396

Post  Bubster Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:48 am

trapsetter wrote:A very quick way to pick a seat i found... this is at micro stakes BTW... is to click on a table and look for the people that are not replenishing their stacks, so if they are sitting there with just over half a buyin then you can be pretty sure they are not thinking about profitable poker.

The trick is then to get seated (preferably next to them) on your right. Dont worry if the table is full, click on wait and go look for another table... theres too many to choose from!!! When you get notified that a seat is available, have a look to see if you are on their left!! try to get next to them if possible and even better with tight players to your left!!!

nice advice, table selection is key in cash, so many people ignore it and just sit down any where.
    mal255
    mal255

SPS Chips : 13

Cash help Empty Cash

Post  mal255 Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:08 pm

Table selection is everything. I am just starting out and looking for a table selection help thing. Gonna try out Telescope. Poker Usher was ok.
    trapsetter
    trapsetter

SPS Chips : 249

Post  trapsetter Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:31 am

I have found a pdf 6max cash guide, this is also from a 2+2 forum member... google ryan fee and you will find it there!!

I invite all to read it because would like some opinions about it plz!!

Also keep us updated on the programs ur using to help us all pick the right tools for the job!! I know that some charge fees, is there any out there that are free??

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:44 pm