SharkPokerSchool Forum

Hi and welcome to our SPS Forum!

Only our forum members are eligible for our freerolls, cheaprolls, forum games, and other promotions; so if you haven't registered, please sign up, it only takes a minute!

Any problems or questions please email us at admin@sharkpokerschool.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SharkPokerSchool Forum

Hi and welcome to our SPS Forum!

Only our forum members are eligible for our freerolls, cheaprolls, forum games, and other promotions; so if you haven't registered, please sign up, it only takes a minute!

Any problems or questions please email us at admin@sharkpokerschool.com

SharkPokerSchool Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SharkPokerSchool Forum
www.SharkPokerSchool.com....  Hi Guest, welcome to the SPS Forum!..... Welcome to our newest member darrayb..... Don't forget our friendly weekly forum game, and wp to last Sunday's winner, xBEASTx!!!

+6
LANGERS
The G Force
swishtony
wildrick
Jon Huckle
Cleric147
10 posters

Is there a muppet inside us all?

Cleric147
    Cleric147

SPS Chips : 60

Is there a muppet inside us all? Empty Is there a muppet inside us all?

Post  Cleric147 Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:13 am

I guess i just need a shoulder to cry on but I was terrible yesterday and as much as i stretch looking for excuses i really played bad.

I was making bad decisions half realising my mistakes as I was making them without having the discipline to do anything about it.

Not sure why; just tilting? or maybe every rock has a muppet rying to get out?

What now?

Take a break?

Bolt down, tighten up and start again?

ignore it?

Go to the doctors?

What do you do when the temptations of muppetry creep into your game?
    Jon Huckle
    Jon Huckle
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor

SPS Chips : 7

Is there a muppet inside us all? Empty Being a muppet

Post  Jon Huckle Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:25 am

Everyone has muppet tendancies the trick is to spot them early.

They are usually brought on by a state of mind change, whether it come from a bad beat, alcohol shit from the mrs ect best thing to do is switch off the pc and come back when your mind is cleared.
    Alternatively find the lowest buyin cash table 2c/4c or rebuy mtt 50c or less and blast away till you get it out of your system.
    Cleric147
    Cleric147

SPS Chips : 60

Is there a muppet inside us all? Empty Re: Is there a muppet inside us all?

Post  Cleric147 Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:41 am

Thanks Jon

LOL the mrs was on one - should be alright tonight though she won't be out of hospital for a couple of days!

Nice idea to buy in cheap and thrash around for a bit.
    wildrick
    wildrick
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor

SPS Chips : 2238
    Favourite hand : 10sJs

Post  wildrick Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:58 am

Best advice i ever had about poker, was when you get bad beat, make a bad decision, or just generally lose chips in an irritating fashion - just step away. Doesnt matter if youve got a few gmaes going, just a few mins away from comp will do, get a brew, cig, fresh air, whatever. Clear the head and refocus on what you should be doing.

And yes everyone has a bit of muppet in them, it's jst the gambler in you trying to get out. You need to gamble sometimes, but in a controlled fashion, and for the right reasons, not just cos you fancy havin a pop at the twat who won a pot off you 15 mins ago.

Controlling this urge is one of the hardest things for some people, and one of the main reasons many great playes leave the game. Nip it in the bud each time and clear your head. You can tell when youre doing it, thats the first step, some people dont even get that far lol.
    swishtony
    swishtony

SPS Chips : 116

Post  swishtony Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:44 am

Some good advice from the guys! I need to take that on board for my live game I think Smile

Actually a fine line sometimes between muppetry and good poker, occasionally (note I added occasionally!!) you see calls that mupps make and if they were made by a good player you would have to give them credit for just making an incredibly good call.

Saw an example on You Tube last night, high stakes cash game, Laak raising with AJ into Antonius on the BB who has 45. Antonius hits a 4 on the flop, Laak misses, and eventually the board has a Q and a K on it but he still check/called on all streets after much deliberation. Muppet or genius?

I know if that was online agaisnt me I would be horified that someone called all the way with 2nd bottom pair affraid
    swishtony
    swishtony

SPS Chips : 116

Post  swishtony Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:54 am

Just noticed I've nearly hijacked this post... my reply could almost be a whole new topic - sorry didn't mean to Smile

Yes, I know exactly what you mean m8, sometimes if I make one really bad decision I beat myself up about it so much and then make even more poor plays. As the advice says.... step away from it, clear your head and then get back to it - sounds like good advice, note taken!
    The G Force
    The G Force

SPS Chips : 11

Post  The G Force Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:53 am

think i found this thread a bit too late, check out my post in the bad beats section that i just made, going through one of the shittiest spells ever myself at the moment, you're not the only one mate.

got to agree with most of the comments made though, i think one of my biggest flaws is not having the ability to walk away when on tilt and it's really, REALLY starting to show in my bankroll.
    LANGERS

SPS Chips : 122

Post  LANGERS Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:55 am

mmmm interesting thread!! last night was playing stars,5$ hilo rebuy.got up to 18k playing fairly premium hands and was just after the break,lying aboutn 8th.

lost the lot in two hands from out of position,making a couple of,in hindsight,really bad calls.

often i know when calling,i'm behind,but somehow stupidly manage to avoid pressing that all important "fold" button.

i have often thought if i had a poster or something on my wall that said "if u think your behind you probably are!" or something along those lines that i't would resonate in my brain and make me make the right play!

interested to know how the good players amongst you manage to dodge those all important "f**k up" hands that ruin an otherwise good spell of play.
    Bainn
    Bainn
    Beardy Mod

SPS Chips : 2724
    Favourite hand : 5-4 off "The Bainn"

Post  Bainn Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:54 am

Yes, "Gonzo".
    fluffb
    fluffb

SPS Chips : 368

Post  fluffb Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:29 am

i think my avatar sums this one up.
    bondy

SPS Chips : 18

Post  bondy Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:58 pm

LOL. yes guilty of this myself every now and then,what makes it worse i usally do it against a donk ive been waiting to take,feel a right muppet Very Happy
    CARNIVORE04
    CARNIVORE04

SPS Chips : 1377

Post  CARNIVORE04 Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:43 pm

Yes yes yes im defo a king in this field Is there a muppet inside us all? Icon_king Is there a muppet inside us all? Icon_king

I find jamming your testicles in a cupboard door painful but its really not a solution.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 8:48 pm