SharkPokerSchool Forum

Hi and welcome to our SPS Forum!

Only our forum members are eligible for our freerolls, cheaprolls, forum games, and other promotions; so if you haven't registered, please sign up, it only takes a minute!

Any problems or questions please email us at admin@sharkpokerschool.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SharkPokerSchool Forum

Hi and welcome to our SPS Forum!

Only our forum members are eligible for our freerolls, cheaprolls, forum games, and other promotions; so if you haven't registered, please sign up, it only takes a minute!

Any problems or questions please email us at admin@sharkpokerschool.com

SharkPokerSchool Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SharkPokerSchool Forum
www.SharkPokerSchool.com....  Hi Guest, welcome to the SPS Forum!..... Welcome to our newest member darrayb..... Don't forget our friendly weekly forum game, and wp to last Sunday's winner, xBEASTx!!!

+4
xbigstevex
MADV
wildrick
danowski69
8 posters

What books to read?

danowski69

SPS Chips : 2455

What books to read? Empty What books to read?

Post  danowski69 Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:50 pm

Anyone got any suggestions, Im about sorted with hands and ok ish reads on peeps, just feel now i need to add on position and betting range.

I have one book already, although its a bit basic.."the mammouth book of POKER"
    dont laugh it was an xmas prezzie, and kinda good for a start.
    wildrick
    wildrick
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor

SPS Chips : 2238
    Favourite hand : 10sJs

What books to read? Empty Re: What books to read?

Post  wildrick Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:16 pm

here you go danny m8, don't know if you've had a look at this page already....

http://www.sharkpokerschool.com/the-study/poker-book-reviews/

From that page I'd particularly recommend Hansen's "Every hand revealed", Harrington's mtt books, and Phil shaw's stt book.
    danowski69

Post  danowski69 Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:24 pm

Cheers Rickster, I had a look on intellipoker and have done the quize's on there, its pretty cool stuff, take a peek if u aint seen it.
    MADV
    MADV

SPS Chips : 1369
    Favourite hand : AA - the suit, quite frankly, is irrelevant

Post  MADV Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:48 pm

The recommendations on the thread will cover about most topics but I would say that for big field mtt play you can't go wrong with Harrington. Personally, I don't like his style of play and I read more poker stories now believing my analysis to be fairly good after reading a few Sklansky titles. I would, however, like you, love to know a little more about position. IT always amazes me when Rick goes into a hand and really looks at it. I don't want to do that too much as I believe it would cramp my style so to speak but I'm always open to learning.

Gl at the tables, Dan. cheers
    danowski69

Post  danowski69 Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:19 pm

Due to the fact that ill never play poker full time, with my work been so important, i tend to think that my own, some what crazy style is good, i have no idea on odds, position or why i shouldnt call a big raise, coz as u have seen, my way has paid off, yes if i learnt a bit more, then my final payout may be bigger, but im not going to study poker like some do, i just dont have the time, this yr so far im up in money, not huge but nice, so ill keep plodding, read the ones rick suggested and see what happens.

Gl to u2 Mad V, thanks for the support m8 king
    xbigstevex
    xbigstevex

SPS Chips : 69
    Favourite hand : 66

Post  xbigstevex Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:40 am

have you tried poker for "dummies" hide
    danowski69

Post  danowski69 Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:49 am

I searched high and low on the internet steve and cant find it, then a friend suggested i look in the "cross dressing" section of the library, and holy mary it was there, i wonder how u knew of this book?? Laughing

1-1?? lol
    xbigstevex
    xbigstevex

Post  xbigstevex Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:10 am

danowski69 wrote:I searched high and low on the internet steve and cant find it, then a friend suggested i look in the "cross dressing" section of the library, and holy mary it was there, i wonder how u knew of this book?? Laughing

1-1?? lol

i'd have tried amazon danny.

but if you and your "friend" want to look in the cross dressing section of the library who am i to judge!

2-1
    danowski69

Post  danowski69 Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:15 am

LOL defo 2-1 for that :-)
    xbigstevex
    xbigstevex

Post  xbigstevex Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:22 am

seriously though, try gus hansen's "every hand revealed". it's a great read and the torny was televised so you can watch it on you tube.
    danowski69

Post  danowski69 Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:47 am

Cheers m8ty, ive ordered it off amazon, bogof with cross dresssing weekly LMAO
    Evo397bhp
    Evo397bhp

SPS Chips : 785
    Favourite hand : High stakes JJ, HiLo A33K Ds

Post  Evo397bhp Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:55 am

If your struggling with the "odd's" side of things then

Matthew Hilger : Odd's and Probabilty
    danowski69

Post  danowski69 Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:14 am

Cheers m8, ill get that one ordered too.. Jesus ill ahve to buy a bigger book shelf at this rate lol
    MADV
    MADV

Post  MADV Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:03 am

danowski69 wrote:[..] but im not going to study poker like some do, i just dont have the time, this yr so far im up in money, not huge but nice, so ill keep plodding, read the ones rick suggested and see what happens[...]

danowski69 wrote:Cheers m8, ill get that one ordered too.. Jesus ill ahve to buy a bigger book shelf at this rate lol

Er, isn't this quite a contradiction in one thread? Or am I just being sensitive when it appears it's just my suggestions you don't have time for?

I suggest you've masses to learn and keep trying. Simply picking up books won't do it, but it will help. Try to remove the attitude that you "do all right" now. All right's not all right! Wink
    danowski69

Post  danowski69 Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:14 am

When i say study poker m8, i mean, make it the be and end all of my life, go into serious depth, maths etc, not gunna do that, but to get a bit higher in the cash i think position and odds will help...big difference between top 20 and top 10

As for all is right quote, i mean for a player who plays for fun, my cashes have been nice, but yes u are righ, all is never right lol
    danowski69

Post  danowski69 Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:31 am

And m8, i never said i didnt have time for your suggestions, ill listen to anyone when they are offering advice m8, if i have missed what u suggested, then kindly say it again dude.
    khenny
    khenny
    McLairy Mod

SPS Chips : 1686
    Favourite hand : Aces. What else would you want?

Post  khenny Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:40 am

MADV wrote:
    danowski69 wrote:[..] but im not going to study poker like some do, i just dont have the time, this yr so far im up in money, not huge but nice, so ill keep plodding, read the ones rick suggested and see what happens[...]

danowski69 wrote:Cheers m8, ill get that one ordered too.. Jesus ill ahve to buy a bigger book shelf at this rate lol

Er, isn't this quite a contradiction in one thread? Or am I just being sensitive when it appears it's just my suggestions you don't have time for?

I suggest you've masses to learn and keep trying. Simply picking up books won't do it, but it will help. Try to remove the attitude that you "do all right" now. All right's not all right! Wink

I know what your saying here Vad & it's sound advice.

When new players come into the game & get a little success early it does tend to hold them back from real improvement in the game.

Had they got mashed up in their first few games then the attitude would tend to be leaning more towards finding out what went wrong rather than "I just need to tweak my game a little as I seem to be quite good already."
    danowski69

Post  danowski69 Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:48 am

DUDES HONESTLY!!!! LOL

ya missing my point.. if i was hoping to make serious money outta poker id give up my very well paid job, read read, digest my situation, learn as much as poss, have sessions with a mentor and the full deal, then all ya advice wud be more then valuable...BUT as i said, im just looking to improve on the basics i have so that i can get that little bit further, not to 1st all the time as i dont wish for that seen as i cant put that committment in.

SO........the odds and position will do for now, and IF i feel i want to go a step further, then ill ask your guys for your advice once again..

Im a fun player, low stakes, low rewards, thats me im happy, its fun, i dont drink so in my eyes i spend my beer money playing poker.

Simples...(squeek) yes its a meerkat lol
    Bainn
    Bainn
    Beardy Mod

SPS Chips : 2724
    Favourite hand : 5-4 off "The Bainn"

Post  Bainn Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:30 am

"How to win friends and influence people" by Dale Carnegie.
    danowski69

Post  danowski69 Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:39 am

You trying to be funny Bainn? Do u think your comment is needed here?

And for your info i already have that book, its a great piece of reading in my line of work, which many a MD has read to help with their career.

Just goes to show how stupid some comments can be, but again another thread hijacked with shit!
    Bainn
    Bainn
    Beardy Mod

SPS Chips : 2724
    Favourite hand : 5-4 off "The Bainn"

Post  Bainn Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:47 am

danowski69 wrote:You trying to be funny Bainn? Do u think your comment is needed here?

And for your info i already have that book, its a great piece of reading in my line of work, which many a MD has read to help with their career.

Just goes to show how stupid some comments can be, but again another thread hijacked with shit!

My post was an honest suggestion of a selfhelp book that I think would be immensely helpful, however, I cannot deny the inherent comic value.
    danowski69

Post  danowski69 Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:54 am

as a mod, id kindly request that from your comment down, u delete the remanding comments, as this was my thread seeking advice, not a place for u to act like a child and have your pointless say once again.

so do the right thing, and delete them, and next time u wish to give "direct personal advice" do so via a pm, im more than happy to talk to u on there. But no longer will i air my views in a bad way on the site directly. it needs to stop by all forumites.
    MADV
    MADV

Post  MADV Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:26 am

danowski69 wrote:as a mod, id kindly request that from your comment down, u delete the remanding comments, as this was my thread seeking advice, not a place for u to act like a child and have your pointless say once again.

so do the right thing, and delete them, and next time u wish to give "direct personal advice" do so via a pm, im more than happy to talk to u on there. But no longer will i air my views in a bad way on the site directly. it needs to stop by all forumites.

+1

I can't believe I'm actually saying this (no, Danny didn't slip me a tenner) but I agree. Comedic interruption is part and parcel of every forum post but it should be mixed in with some useful pointers. To be fair, Bainn, I've not seen any for an while.

- Khenny, thanks for putting into words that which I could not.

- Danny, don't worry bud, I'm not upset. Please read what you've put though. "I don't want to win more, I'm happy winning a bit". The whole statement's a bit off in my eyes. I think that with only 3-4% of people being winning players online, you really do need to put the work in if you hope to be one of them.

Ask Rick, or any of the players on here who've had that roller coaster ride. There's much more to it that just thinking you're OK.

Please don't hesitate to ask me if ever you need any advice on anything. If I don't know, I generally know someon who will. And Bainn, start putting some useful comments in but don't stop all of your puns, I actually think you're quite a funny chap. bounce
    khenny
    khenny
    McLairy Mod

SPS Chips : 1686
    Favourite hand : Aces. What else would you want?

Post  khenny Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:27 am

Danny, I can't see what the problem is with Bainns reply there m8. He may have omitted his customary sarcy but I don't think it can be taken any way other than a bit of banter.

At the top of this page you say you'll listen to anyone offering advice. I then post backing up MADV's earlier piece of good advice and I added a little for the sake of explanation.

The next post you put out says we are missing the point! Exactly how have we missed the point? We are offering you (a new rookie player) some advice on how best to progress in the poker world.

Now either you want advice (like you say you do) or you don't. Which is it?
    danowski69

Post  danowski69 Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:32 am

Of course i want it kenny.
    Wouldnt be here if i didnt.

And vad i owe u £20 now lol

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:24 am