SharkPokerSchool Forum

Hi and welcome to our SPS Forum!

Only our forum members are eligible for our freerolls, cheaprolls, forum games, and other promotions; so if you haven't registered, please sign up, it only takes a minute!

Any problems or questions please email us at admin@sharkpokerschool.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SharkPokerSchool Forum

Hi and welcome to our SPS Forum!

Only our forum members are eligible for our freerolls, cheaprolls, forum games, and other promotions; so if you haven't registered, please sign up, it only takes a minute!

Any problems or questions please email us at admin@sharkpokerschool.com

SharkPokerSchool Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SharkPokerSchool Forum
www.SharkPokerSchool.com....  Hi Guest, welcome to the SPS Forum!..... Welcome to our newest member darrayb..... Don't forget our friendly weekly forum game, and wp to last Sunday's winner, xBEASTx!!!

+3
Overated
dicie180
TiredEyes
7 posters

ReRaising the stealers of my blinds

TiredEyes
    TiredEyes

SPS Chips : 9

ReRaising the stealers of my blinds Empty ReRaising the stealers of my blinds

Post  TiredEyes Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:03 am

I after some advice about the sizing of a reraise when your pretty sure the cut-off/button is stealing your BB.

Its 5hrs into the tourney and theres 28 left (40 paid) your stack is 90,000 (above average) the blinds are 1000/2000 with 100 ante (10 seats) so there 4k in the pot and it's folded to the cut-off who has pumped it to 8000, now this is the second time and you had suspicions the first time, so your not letting the fecker off lightly this time.

1. What are your thoughts about the size of a reraise when you think someone is stealing.

2. What about if your in the SB

3. What if the SB calls the 8k

Cheers,

Tom.
    dicie180
    dicie180

SPS Chips : -7

ReRaising the stealers of my blinds Empty Re: ReRaising the stealers of my blinds

Post  dicie180 Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:28 am

TiredEyes wrote:I after some advice about the sizing of a reraise when your pretty sure the cut-off/button is stealing your BB.

Its 5hrs into the tourney and theres 28 left (40 paid) your stack is 90,000 (above average) the blinds are 1000/2000 with 100 ante (10 seats) so there 4k in the pot and it's folded to the cut-off who has pumped it to 8000, now this is the second time and you had suspicions the first time, so your not letting the fecker off lightly this time.

1. What are your thoughts about the size of a reraise when you think someone is stealing.

Not every button or cut off raise is a steal, but if you feel he is "AT IT" i wud try a reraise of 2.5times his raise, so if he raises to 7k, if you repop him to 17k, find out where u are in the hand.... It is always best to do this with total air or a premium hand, it makes the decision of calling or laying it down so much easier, but you will find that most exits from mtts are players defending there blinds when they have a stack to let it go...

2. What about if your in the SB

With a player still to act behind us, isnt it better to let it go with a marginal hand, than risking the BB waking up with a hand... We are only risking 1k, of a 90k stack...

3. What if the SB calls the 8k

depending again on holdings, im willing to let many hands go here, as we cud be totally dominated..Cheers,

Tom.

Maybe u wer lookin for reply off 1 of the mentors, but i have nowt better to do so here goes....[i][b]
    Overated
    Overated

SPS Chips : 472

ReRaising the stealers of my blinds Empty Re: ReRaising the stealers of my blinds

Post  Overated Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:05 am

its a weird amount to raise anyway. at that stage of a tourney you obv expect good players to be making raises around 4.5k/6k

i would expect he is just stealing or possibly could be overbetting it to get a reraise

either way im not going to reraise his 8k unless i have a premium hand and same applies if i am in the sb

if sb calls the 8k and i have suited connectors/med pair etc then i may limp as you're getting good value if you hit big on the flop
    Evo397bhp
    Evo397bhp

SPS Chips : 785
    Favourite hand : High stakes JJ, HiLo A33K Ds

Post  Evo397bhp Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:26 am

To be honest Tom, I'm letting him have the 2k if my stack is 90k unless I have a good hand in which case i'm more than likely going to do my fav move of stacking him if he's the only one in the hand, which looks like you have just had enough of his steals and as you know they tend to call light if thats whats going through there mind, and if he does have junk he's more than often going to fold to almost any re-raise other than a massive over shove which looks so out of place for a real hand Cool

So other than having some ammo to fight back i'm letting him have it and recollect it against others
    phinnies1
    phinnies1
    Admin

SPS Chips : 121

Post  phinnies1 Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:02 am

just remember there are very different dynamics between late posn raisers, if you start defending your blinds vociferously from late posn raises you are more likely to get your chips into a weak flip situation as you will not get as much respect.

In the scenario you mention I personally prefer to make my move in position so lets say we are on the button and the raise comes from the cutoff to 8k (you have to be careful of his stack size, you cannot raise here if he is in any way pot commited, but lets say he has 50k) I will happily make it 19k here, it is a bet size which will not commit you to a call but it sends the right message that you are commited and will call a shove even if this is not the case. If he decides to peel a flop you are now in position and can make a better more informed judgement on the flop.
    JPK
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor

SPS Chips : 3

Post  JPK Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:06 am

not the answer you're looking for, but just keep in mind that when playing back at an aggro player that too much ego will usually send you to the rail

pick and choose spots like this very carefully
    wildrick
    wildrick
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor

SPS Chips : 2238
    Favourite hand : 10sJs

Post  wildrick Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:24 am

Some wise words in these responses Smile

The first thing to look at is stack sizes. How much has he got? This is vital. If he has anywhere up to mbe 20k behind you may as well forget it.

Secondly 8k is a strange 4bb raise for a steal from button or cutoff - you more often see 4-6k raises here. It looks to me like a strong hand that he doesnt want action with, rather than an out and out steal. Mbe AT/AJ, and he wont call of his whole stack, but if he has enough he might call your reraise if he's a poor player. This is by no means anywhere near definite - but i'm much happier repopping him with air if he's raised 2.5-3 bbs. Its just more common to steal for 4-6k not 8.

Thirdly - as mentioned above - dont choose med/high hands for a repop - you want fck all or premium. Even K2 is bad - if he calls and u hit a king, youre in a worrying spot, depending on his stack. Go for hands like 7 8, 4 5, etc.

your points:

1. 16k-24k is standard repop range here. If he has say 30k back then 16-17k should be enough, if he's over 50k then err towards 20-24k. Your trying to look scary, and if you had AA here how much might you make it? Have you reraised and shown any bighands recently? what did you do on those occassions.

2. In the SB actually looks stronger than from the bb, but is more risky with another player still to act. Stck sizes vital again.

3. Stack size vital. You need to make a slightly higher reraise, as the value of the pot has increased rapidly. I'd also want to know exactly how both players have been playing, before i even thought about this squeeze. Best case scenario theyve been weak/active, and both have about 80k. Id go for 25/30k if i was going to bother.

Overall i'd prefer to be on the button than in the bb or sb, just in case the raiser wants to peal a flop off. Dont resteal from blind stealers, steal someone elses blind steal. Exercise caution in the bb - you know youre only facing one oppoi - but oppo knows this too, he's expecting you to try a sly one.

Last of all remember the vital rule: Even muppety bullying blind stealing twats get big hands somethimes.

ReRaising the stealers of my blinds 627217

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 8:50 am