SharkPokerSchool Forum

Hi and welcome to our SPS Forum!

Only our forum members are eligible for our freerolls, cheaprolls, forum games, and other promotions; so if you haven't registered, please sign up, it only takes a minute!

Any problems or questions please email us at admin@sharkpokerschool.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SharkPokerSchool Forum

Hi and welcome to our SPS Forum!

Only our forum members are eligible for our freerolls, cheaprolls, forum games, and other promotions; so if you haven't registered, please sign up, it only takes a minute!

Any problems or questions please email us at admin@sharkpokerschool.com

SharkPokerSchool Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SharkPokerSchool Forum
www.SharkPokerSchool.com....  Hi Guest, welcome to the SPS Forum!..... Welcome to our newest member darrayb..... Don't forget our friendly weekly forum game, and wp to last Sunday's winner, xBEASTx!!!

5 posters

Danny's Daily Brain Teaser

danowski69

SPS Chips : 2455

Danny's Daily Brain Teaser Empty Danny's Daily Brain Teaser

Post  danowski69 Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:07 am

I will post a new Brain Teaser each day. Lets see who can work them out.

Four legs have I, a sturdy fellow
    A fuzzy back that isn't yellow
    But (often) green or (rarely) red
    A den is where I make my bed
    My keepers feed me coloured balls
    With sticks they store on my den walls
    Sometimes I store them in my pouch
    Sometimes deep in my belly; ouch!
    That's when you'll see me acting strange
    Instead of balls, I'll eat your change
    And that's my cue to feed again
    Chalk it up to hunger, friend!

What/Who am i??

GOOD LUCK scratch
    wildrick
    wildrick
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor

SPS Chips : 2238
    Favourite hand : 10sJs

Danny's Daily Brain Teaser Empty Re: Danny's Daily Brain Teaser

Post  wildrick Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:24 am

Pool Table Smile

next!
    nikthebad
    nikthebad

SPS Chips : 114

Post  nikthebad Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:33 am

This should be a bit trickier for you richard..

Consider this...

You are one of 20 prisoners on death row with the execution date set for tomorrow. Your king is a ruthless man who likes to toy with his people's miseries. He comes to your cell today and tells you:
    “I’m gonna give you prisoners a chance to go free tomorrow. You will all stand in a row (queue) before the executioner and we will put a hat on your head, either a red or a black one. Of course you will not be able to see the color of your own hat; you will only be able to see the prisoners in front of you with their hats on; you will not be allowed to look back or communicate together in any way (talking, touching.....).

The prisoner in the back will be able to see the 19 prisoners in front of him. The one in front of him will be able to see 18…

Starting with the last person in the row, the one who can see everybody in front of him, he will be asked a simple question: WHAT IS THE COLOR OF YOUR HAT?

He will be only allowed to answer “BLACK” or “RED”. If he says anything else you will ALL be executed immediately.

If he guesses the right color of the hat on his head he is set free, otherwise he is put to death. And we move on to the one in front of him and ask him the same question and so on…

Now since you all can communicate freely during the night, can you find a way to guarantee the freedom of some (or all!) prisoners tomorrow?
    danowski69

Post  danowski69 Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:41 am

This needs changing to niks daily teaser, clearly mine was chiiiiiiiiiit lol

but i did get SPS mentioned on the radio so i can smile at that hehe

oh....i dont have a clue on this one scratch
    danowski69

Post  danowski69 Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:50 am

Two police offers were investigating a mysterious death.

When they arrived at the scene of the crime they found a room with no windows and the dead man who seemed to have hung himself by a rope from the ceiling.

There was no chair or table that the man may have jumped off.

The only clue was a puddle of water on the floor.

How did the man manage to hang himself
    nikthebad
    nikthebad

Post  nikthebad Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:52 am

Danny2809 wrote:Two police offers were investigating a mysterious death.

When they arrived at the scene of the crime they found a room with no windows and the dead man who seemed to have hung himself by a rope from the ceiling.

There was no chair or table that the man may have jumped off.

The only clue was a puddle of water on the floor.

How did the man manage to hang himself

Block of ice *yawn* Smile
    danowski69

Post  danowski69 Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:55 am

HAHAHAHAH lol

I know the reason u all know the answers! ya all dinosaurs so over the years you have heard them b4 hehe
    nikthebad
    nikthebad

Post  nikthebad Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:57 am

Danny2809 wrote:HAHAHAHAH lol

I know the reason u all know the answers! ya all dinosaurs so over the years you have heard them b4 hehe

I'm a same-age-as-you-saurus!
    danowski69

Post  danowski69 Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:59 am

ya too bloody clever then lol
    wildrick
    wildrick
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor

Post  wildrick Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:10 am

nikthebad wrote:This should be a bit trickier for you richard..

Consider this...

You are one of 20 prisoners on death row with the execution date set for tomorrow. Your king is a ruthless man who likes to toy with his people's miseries. He comes to your cell today and tells you:
    “I’m gonna give you prisoners a chance to go free tomorrow. You will all stand in a row (queue) before the executioner and we will put a hat on your head, either a red or a black one. Of course you will not be able to see the color of your own hat; you will only be able to see the prisoners in front of you with their hats on; you will not be allowed to look back or communicate together in any way (talking, touching.....).

The prisoner in the back will be able to see the 19 prisoners in front of him. The one in front of him will be able to see 18…

Starting with the last person in the row, the one who can see everybody in front of him, he will be asked a simple question: WHAT IS THE COLOR OF YOUR HAT?

He will be only allowed to answer “BLACK” or “RED”. If he says anything else you will ALL be executed immediately.

If he guesses the right color of the hat on his head he is set free, otherwise he is put to death. And we move on to the one in front of him and ask him the same question and so on…

Now since you all can communicate freely during the night, can you find a way to guarantee the freedom of some (or all!) prisoners tomorrow?

Well....an idea springs to mind...

Is the queue random? If so, all the prisoners can agree to a simple plan, that means they all definitely go free, except for the person at the back of the queue who gets asked first, who has a 5050 ish shot.

The person at the back who can see everyones hat just says the colour of the bloke in front of him. If he's lucky his is the same, if not he's gone.

The next bloke now knows his hat colour obviously. Now when asked, he either answers immediately, or pretends to think for 5 seconds, but either way he says whatever the bloke behind him said, and assuming the prisoners all agree to tell the truth, he's free.

He either answers immediately or pauses based on the next guys hat colour. If it is the same as his, he answers immediately, if it is the other colour he pauses for 5 seconds.

The next bloke along now knows whether to answer the same, or change colour, and answers in the same way himself according to the next blokes hat, and so on until we run out of prisoners Smile

This only works if all the prisoners tell the truth obviously, and one ul person is 50/50.

If the queue isnt random, and they know their positions already, then the prisoner at the back might not like the plan very much lol.

Off out for lunch, but I'll try and work out how to get 100% for all whilst im gone Smile
    Bainn
    Bainn
    Beardy Mod

SPS Chips : 2724
    Favourite hand : 5-4 off "The Bainn"

Post  Bainn Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:23 am

Danny2809 wrote:but i did get SPS mentioned on the radio so i can smile at that hehe

Do tell us more, radio 1 ?
    danowski69

Post  danowski69 Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:28 am

No squire it was Galaxy FM, its under my other thread, in sports and betting i believe
    nikthebad
    nikthebad

Post  nikthebad Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:55 am

wildrick wrote:

Is the queue random? If so, all the prisoners can agree to a simple plan, that means they all definitely go free, except for the person at the back of the queue who gets asked first, who has a 5050 ish shot.

The person at the back who can see everyones hat just says the colour of the bloke in front of him. If he's lucky his is the same, if not he's gone.

The next bloke now knows his hat colour obviously. Now when asked, he either answers immediately, or pretends to think for 5 seconds, but either way he says whatever the bloke behind him said, and assuming the prisoners all agree to tell the truth, he's free.

He either answers immediately or pauses based on the next guys hat colour. If it is the same as his, he answers immediately, if it is the other colour he pauses for 5 seconds.

The next bloke along now knows whether to answer the same, or change colour, and answers in the same way himself according to the next blokes hat, and so on until we run out of prisoners Smile

This only works if all the prisoners tell the truth obviously, and one ul person is 50/50.

If the queue isnt random, and they know their positions already, then the prisoner at the back might not like the plan very much lol.

Off out for lunch, but I'll try and work out how to get 100% for all whilst im gone Smile

As per usuall, I am impressed. This is not the answer I had but is certainly a viable option to the problem and probably would be easier Smile

The guy at the back is always gonna be a 50/50 shot, can't think of a way you could gaurantee him being ok after this sadistic little game, guess it pays to be at the front of the queue.

Just suppose that on asking the question the prisoners were given exactly ten seconds to decide then had to give their answer immediately, what then? (and to cover other similar options, no squeaky voices, coughing, scouse accents, speaking really quickly etc...)

Clue in black
    It relies on all of them being able to count and being smarter than your average death row inmate!
    wildrick
    wildrick
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor

Post  wildrick Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:17 am

nikthebad wrote:
    wildrick wrote:

As per usuall, I am impressed. This is not the answer I had but is certainly a viable option to the problem and probably would be easier Smile

The guy at the back is always gonna be a 50/50 shot, can't think of a way you could gaurantee him being ok after this sadistic little game, guess it pays to be at the front of the queue.

Just suppose that on asking the question the prisoners were given exactly ten seconds to decide then had to give their answer immediately, what then? (and to cover other similar options, no squeaky voices, coughing, scouse accents, speaking really quickly etc...)

Clue in black
    It relies on all of them being able to count and being smarter than your average death row inmate!

ok back...

Guy at back cant be saved agreed.

And nothing to do with how they say Red or Black?

So either... (from counting hint Wink )

They can only say Red or Black, but they can say it as many times as they like - first guy counts up which colour is most common, and says that colour that many times, next guy will then know from that and what he can see, what colour his is, and says that, the number of times that it appears, and so on.

Or something to do with odd and even numbers of each colour hat, im working on it lol.
    MADV
    MADV

SPS Chips : 1369
    Favourite hand : AA - the suit, quite frankly, is irrelevant

Post  MADV Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:31 am

Looking at this logically I can not see how the prisoners can ensure their safety better than 50/50. I believe the riddle is fundamentally flawed if you want more than this survival rate. Without any other form of communication (which you've just bared in your post) then the survival rate of each prisoner is 50/50. If, however, we know how many of each hate there are, it's a different story.

That is all.
    wildrick
    wildrick
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor

Post  wildrick Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:46 am

ok....

think this works.

First guy can see 19 hats in front of him.

He counts the number of red hats

If the number of red hats is even he says red. If its odd he says black.

His chance is still 50/50 obv, no way round that.

Next guy however can now work out the colour of his hat.

He counts how many red hats are in front of him. If its even, and the guy behind him said Red, then it hasn't changed, so his hat must be black.

If its odd and the guy behind said red, then it has changed from even to odd, so his hat must be red, to account for the change.

If its even and guy behind said black, its changed from odd to even so hat must be red.

If its odd and guy behind said black then it hasnt changed so his hat is black.

Next guy knows how whether there were odd or even number of red hats to start off with out of the 19 in front of first guy, knows what colour the second guys hat was, and again can count the number of red hats in front of him, and from this he can tell whether his is red or black.

and so on.

basically each prisoner knows at the start whether the front 19 have odd or even number of red hats, and every time someone says red it changes. he then looks at the red hats he can see, and if it matches then he has a black hat, otherwise red.

that all makes sense in my head

tho i think i prefer the counting game, cos it involves a sneaky trick of not being able to say anything apart from red or black, but being able to say it as many times as u like lol.
    nikthebad
    nikthebad

Post  nikthebad Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:13 am

lol at the guy at the back saying black 12 times then being put to death anyway!

You cracked it though, a hearty congrats for figuring this one out mate, knew your mathamatical brain would get there in the end.

I am also a big fan of Vads answer, loving the outlook that sometimes you just accept a 50/50 shot and deal with it. Everyone loves an even money gamble!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 5:42 am