SharkPokerSchool Forum

Hi and welcome to our SPS Forum!

Only our forum members are eligible for our freerolls, cheaprolls, forum games, and other promotions; so if you haven't registered, please sign up, it only takes a minute!

Any problems or questions please email us at admin@sharkpokerschool.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SharkPokerSchool Forum

Hi and welcome to our SPS Forum!

Only our forum members are eligible for our freerolls, cheaprolls, forum games, and other promotions; so if you haven't registered, please sign up, it only takes a minute!

Any problems or questions please email us at admin@sharkpokerschool.com

SharkPokerSchool Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SharkPokerSchool Forum
www.SharkPokerSchool.com....  Hi Guest, welcome to the SPS Forum!..... Welcome to our newest member darrayb..... Don't forget our friendly weekly forum game, and wp to last Sunday's winner, xBEASTx!!!

5 posters

poker mojo

sexyamy83
    sexyamy83

SPS Chips : 265
    Favourite hand : 2 7 offsuit aslong as its against a weak opponent

poker mojo Empty poker mojo

Post  sexyamy83 Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:02 pm

Hi guys,

i am a pretty succesful part time poker player but i find my main problem to making the game pay alot more is keeping my poker mojo and thus letting my level drop and ultimately my profit. Last month i won 8k with a 300 a day bankroll through a sponsor and winning 3 tourneys on one day and 2 tourneys on another. Since the end of the month on the first day i ground out 500 on sngs on the first day but then hardly played since but when i have played ive been switching between the internet, world cup and my poker.

I was wondering if you had any advise how to get things back on track as i want to have a good end to the month.
    Evo397bhp
    Evo397bhp

SPS Chips : 785
    Favourite hand : High stakes JJ, HiLo A33K Ds

poker mojo Empty Re: poker mojo

Post  Evo397bhp Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:26 pm

Well, a lot may argue with what I have to say but here goes.

The longer you play or have played MTT or SnG poker, the more common it is to loose the thrill and your drive for the game. The reason for this 'flat' state is quite easy to explain, it all comes down to how your game has developed and what you expect and enjoy in poker...

As your experience grows (longer for some than others) and it all clicks, what you enjoy from poker is well beyond ABC poker. The enjoyment comes from the deeper game and what can only be described as 'Mind Poker' making the big bluff's, trapping with monster set's, FH or Nut flushes; in other words out playing (a term over used in low stakes) your opponent. The trouble is, getting to this stage of the game is normally 3-4 hr's into a tourney and the drag of ABC poker and muff dodging to get to this stage is tedious and mind numbing to say the least; it's this slog that causes loss of poker thirst/interest.

There are many was to get over or through this (think I've done them all over the years lol)

Playing for a living, it's volume of games that earn a crust so this is the 1st option. While your aim may well be to win certain games you join several others to stop boredom creeping in. This can be expensive by pure volume, but the method I list first as the one I currently use (mixed with Microsoft Free cell) and common for me to have 12+ tourneys running or 3 or 4 sites at a time, need multi monitor set-up to do it without going mad! keeping focus on what matters can be an issue at the start, where you give to much time to a $5 freeze while also in a $100 re-buy etc.

Play more re-buy games, where action starts off early (I play 80% re-buys mixed with above) instead of say 1 x $109 tourney, try 4 or 5 games in the $5 - $10 range these can pay quite to very well on the bigger GTD prize funds.

Move over to cash games, the drive here is obvious and simply money. Trouble is below 2/4 99% of the time your back to ABC solid poker wins the day and the pot, so quickly becomes a grind.

Play just 1 game a night, this can be tough if your playing and working the next day as European time frame mainly offers low buy-in games with large fields, or game with cheap satellite entry which is a PAIN IN THE ASS, but games such as pokerstars $45k $109 freeze just squeezes in better still is the $75k $109 re-buy.. idea is play less be more challenged kind of quality over quantity, disadvantage long term is to make money volume matters.

STOP playing, sounds silly I know but stay with me here. the more you play the more frustration at the grind ahead builds, so fix days and times to play and feck off and do something else the rest of the time.

Alternate the type of game you play, learn Omaha and Stud if you don't already play them. Making one session Omaha PL, the next Hilo & Stud, the next back to Holdem.

And that's about all I can offer for advice I'm afraid, other than NEVER EVER force poker as it just don't happen that way, a month is just one 12th of the poker year.
    Jimmy_Lucky
    Jimmy_Lucky

SPS Chips : 17

Post  Jimmy_Lucky Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:05 pm

Hey you , YES YOU.

Are you tired with the grind?

Do YOU feel that you not reaching your full potential?

Bored, frustrated in a state of perpetual flux?

In a funk , not willing to share a bunk?

Its you lucky day. Pringles are 2 for £2.00. YES YOU HEARD ME RIGHT ; two for two british pounds. Offer ends shortly so GO GO GO.

(Disclaimer: warning excess consumption may lead to depression anxiety , ADHD, dual stream urination syndrom and hair loss)
    Evo397bhp
    Evo397bhp

Post  Evo397bhp Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:11 pm

PMSL
    danowski69

SPS Chips : 2455

Post  danowski69 Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:18 pm

Im loving u being here jimmy, funny as fuk mate :-)
    Evo397bhp
    Evo397bhp

Post  Evo397bhp Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:36 pm

yeah but... he's paying WAY to much, 95p in Tesco's
    sexyamy83
    sexyamy83

Post  sexyamy83 Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:49 pm

Some good posts on here, i think the best thing for me to do is maybe play a few higher stakes mtts with my own bankroll that I have built up which my sponsored account dosent always allow me to play. I realised ive lost the bug when i win mtts and am not even happy, more satisfied.

I think the winning 3 mtts in a day gave me that buzz which I havent had for a while through poker. Going to grind some 18 mans tonight on ipoker so fingers crossed i get the buzz. Smile
    danowski69

SPS Chips : 2455

Post  danowski69 Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:52 pm

Evo397bhp wrote:yeah but... he's paying WAY to much, 95p in Tesco's

see mate, this is why u can buy porsches, all them 10'ps ya saving on pringles lol :-) (sod all to do with ya poker ability lol)
    Evo397bhp
    Evo397bhp

Post  Evo397bhp Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:30 pm

all those 10p's add up ya know lol
    Evo397bhp
    Evo397bhp

Post  Evo397bhp Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:31 pm

sexyamy83 wrote:Some good posts on here, i think the best thing for me to do is maybe play a few higher stakes mtts with my own bankroll that I have built up which my sponsored account dosent always allow me to play. I realised ive lost the bug when i win mtts and am not even happy, more satisfied.

I think the winning 3 mtts in a day gave me that buzz which I havent had for a while through poker. Going to grind some 18 mans tonight on ipoker so fingers crossed i get the buzz. Smile

Hope they went well for you...
    sexyamy83
    sexyamy83

Post  sexyamy83 Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:43 pm

did and didnt, good start but then my lappy started over heating so called it an early night.
    MADV
    MADV

SPS Chips : 1369
    Favourite hand : AA - the suit, quite frankly, is irrelevant

Post  MADV Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:39 pm

sexyamy83 wrote:did and didnt, good start but then my lappy started over heating so called it an early night.

Do you have one of the stands with 3 fans? If not, get one, especially when playing microgaming sites. Also, when was the last time you cleaned it out. You wouldn't believe the temperature difference of the core between my clear or dirty laptop - not to mention the performance.

Hope you've found your mojo - I've had 2 nights off like Evo suggested. Back tomorrow. Very Happy
    Evo397bhp
    Evo397bhp

Post  Evo397bhp Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:30 pm

MADV wrote:
    sexyamy83 wrote:did and didnt, good start but then my lappy started over heating so called it an early night.

Do you have one of the stands with 3 fans? If not, get one, especially when playing microgaming sites. Also, when was the last time you cleaned it out. You wouldn't believe the temperature difference of the core between my clear or dirty laptop - not to mention the performance.

Hope you've found your mojo - I've had 2 nights off like Evo suggested. Back tomorrow. Very Happy

tell me the chit that comes out of lappys is un-real, why i use desk top and 3 screens :-).

Aye mate sometimes the only way, wish i'd took night off twatard out or $50 rb, $30 rb and of all things $100 rb... mad mad mad so done the worst thing and started 4 3/6 hilo cash tabs and 1 1/2 on ipoker lol as ya do lol
    Evo397bhp
    Evo397bhp

Post  Evo397bhp Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:27 pm

well action was sweeet, in the hole for 4 or 5 buyins at 1 point (mixed 1/2 ipoker 3/6 FTP) then RAPED the tabs with vengence... did kiss them all before fecking them.

Days like this (as i've said so many times[just don't take own advice] why don't i just play HiLo cash!!)make my job the best going.
    MADV
    MADV

Post  MADV Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:47 am

Evo397bhp wrote:well action was sweeet, in the hole for 4 or 5 buyins at 1 point (mixed 1/2 ipoker 3/6 FTP) then RAPED the tabs with vengence... did kiss them all before fecking them.

Days like this (as i've said so many times[just don't take own advice] why don't i just play HiLo cash!!)make my job the best going.

Sweet! Wish I had the bottle and the roll to play the higher cash games. Sometimes it's a real grind but other times the twatards are so twatish it makes for a month of happiness in one night!
    Evo397bhp
    Evo397bhp

Post  Evo397bhp Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:08 pm

on reflection though mate, I was lucky really had a group of plyers that wern't ABC; if I had then be at least 3k down.

Have a grand time on ya shitfacedpissupfest, staggy Very Happy
    sexyamy83
    sexyamy83

Post  sexyamy83 Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:29 pm

i played my first few mtts tonight in not far off a month and won one, but there was no real buzz like I normally got, im not sure if it was because i didnt win it playing my A game im not sure.

Going to try and get in the right mindset for next month and hope things will pick up.
    MADV
    MADV

Post  MADV Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:02 am

sexyamy83 wrote:i played my first few mtts tonight in not far off a month and won one, but there was no real buzz like I normally got, im not sure if it was because i didnt win it playing my A game im not sure.

Going to try and get in the right mindset for next month and hope things will pick up.

It's probably not what you want to hear but I cam to this point a number of years ago. I'm still on the road to rediscovering the fun, thrills and excitement of victory in poker. The problem is, once you've had 10k wins, playing your heart out for 4 hours and coming away with a few hundred just doesn't seem to work.

It's like drugs - it's an addiction that is results led. The only thing I can suggest is as Evo did to me last night - take a break, come back and then when you feel it's not working take another break.

Or, set it out as a job and get graphs going and the like to show you just how well/profitable you are.

Oh, and buy yourself something from the winnings whatever you do. That's you, not the missus or mum and dad, you!
    sexyamy83
    sexyamy83

Post  sexyamy83 Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:35 am

Ive had a bit of a break and it hasnt really worked. I think i need to give it 100% concentration instead of playing poker and watching the world cup etc.

Once the summer sun has gone and the football season starts again il be on it again.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:31 am