SharkPokerSchool Forum

Hi and welcome to our SPS Forum!

Only our forum members are eligible for our freerolls, cheaprolls, forum games, and other promotions; so if you haven't registered, please sign up, it only takes a minute!

Any problems or questions please email us at admin@sharkpokerschool.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SharkPokerSchool Forum

Hi and welcome to our SPS Forum!

Only our forum members are eligible for our freerolls, cheaprolls, forum games, and other promotions; so if you haven't registered, please sign up, it only takes a minute!

Any problems or questions please email us at admin@sharkpokerschool.com

SharkPokerSchool Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SharkPokerSchool Forum
www.SharkPokerSchool.com....  Hi Guest, welcome to the SPS Forum!..... Welcome to our newest member darrayb..... Don't forget our friendly weekly forum game, and wp to last Sunday's winner, xBEASTx!!!

+6
Chipped
Overated
KunkuWap
wildrick
khenny
the hoooders
10 posters

WWYD

the hoooders
    the hoooders

SPS Chips : 1368
    Favourite hand : q 10 hearts

WWYD Empty WWYD

Post  the hoooders Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:20 am

ok 1st hand in 50 euro freezout,5k starting chips,cup coffee still steaming!you look to see you have jj UTG,so the question is WHAT WOULD YOU DO????? affraid affraid scratch scratch
    khenny
    khenny
    McLairy Mod

SPS Chips : 1686
    Favourite hand : Aces. What else would you want?

WWYD Empty Re: WWYD

Post  khenny Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:36 am

Hooks are, for me, one of the easiest hands for an inexperienced player to go crashing out with.

First hand means it is doubly tough as no table dynamics have been established and being UTG adds to your misery.

It's a 50 euro game so you would expect a slightly better standard of play to the usual donk fests that can arise in high stack games.

Loads of ways to go in this scenario but I would be looking to either :

a) flat call and then call any raise which is not substantial, although that immediately puts you on the back foot when the flop is dealt.

b) raise to 80 or 100 (in high stack I don't think 4 or 5 x bb is OTT)

c) pretend you haven't seen it and let it time out. 🐰

The post flop play is easy as you are a good player who can let them drop if over cards fall. Would always be very wary of getting too confident if the flop is 10 high or less as there are many players who automatically put you on AK AQ with the utg raise and hope to see a flop with mid connectors or small pairs hoping for an early double up.

To sum up?

FOLD! tongue
    the hoooders
    the hoooders

Post  the hoooders Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:44 am

khenny wrote:Hooks are, for me, one of the easiest hands for an inexperienced player to go crashing out with.

First hand means it is doubly tough as no table dynamics have been established and being UTG adds to your misery.

It's a 50 euro game so you would expect a slightly better standard of play to the usual donk fests that can arise in high stack games.

Loads of ways to go in this scenario but I would be looking to either :

a) flat call and then call any raise which is not substantial, although that immediately puts you on the back foot when the flop is dealt.

b) raise to 80 or 100 (in high stack I don't think 4 or 5 x bb is OTT)

c) pretend you haven't seen it and let it time out. 🐰

The post flop play is easy as you are a good player who can let them drop if over cards fall. Would always be very wary of getting too confident if the flop is 10 high or less as there are many players who automatically put you on AK AQ with the utg raise and hope to see a flop with mid connectors or small pairs hoping for an early double up.

To sum up?

FOLD! tongue

you fold kenny?only 3 starting hands better?i personally never flat call from here but will be interesting to see the replys we get!!! scratch scratch
    khenny
    khenny
    McLairy Mod

Post  khenny Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:46 am

lol The fold was a joke m8.

I go for option b every time.
    the hoooders
    the hoooders

Post  the hoooders Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:52 am

RICK? Very Happy
    and i agree m8 i raise 4xbb and go from there!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
    khenny
    khenny
    McLairy Mod

Post  khenny Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:56 am

I would poss be tempted with an even bigger raise to around 6 or 7 xbb later in MTT but 4 or 5 is about bang on for 1st hand utg.
    the hoooders
    the hoooders

Post  the hoooders Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:20 am

khenny wrote:I would poss be tempted with an even bigger raise to around 6 or 7 xbb later in MTT but 4 or 5 is about bang on for 1st hand utg.
    i very very good player once told me to always raise min 3xbb and then one for every limper! Very Happy Very Happy
    wildrick
    wildrick
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor

SPS Chips : 2238
    Favourite hand : 10sJs

Post  wildrick Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:31 am

I raise to 120-150. A smaller raise accomplishes nothing - anyone who was happy to limp for 20 is going to call for 80 probably, so your aim of clearing out some of the chaff doesnt happen. This is particularly true with a 5k ss.

I dont like limp/calling, as it leaves you with less idea where you are, and makes any later aggression from you less believable - so unless you flop a jack, it makes it harder to play the rest of the hand.

I like the 3bb plus one for every limper, but this only works after level 1 or 2, as otherwise the raises are too small imo, especially in a hs.

As an aside there are 4 hands better than JJ.. the obvious 3, plus AK sooooted Smile
    KunkuWap
    KunkuWap
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor

SPS Chips : 47

WWYD Empty raise obv

Post  KunkuWap Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:04 am

1st level of MTT / early stages of MTT there isn't much point in 3b or making pots too big without the nuts. The idea is to gain informatino on opponenets and see lots of cheap flops to bust weaker players. Any raise is fine, whether its min raise or 4x because a bad player is going to call with 93s on the button regardless of your raise amount as it doesn't affect his stack size this early on in a tournament.

Key is not to get attached to it post flop. Remember, doubling up the first hand of an MTT v the risk of going bust is rarely worth the double up. Think about it...you need to last another 6 hours to win so your immediate result isn't that relevant. Chill.
    Overated
    Overated

SPS Chips : 472

Post  Overated Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:13 am

i always like arriving late to a live donkament so id still be in the bar at this stage
    khenny
    khenny
    McLairy Mod

Post  khenny Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:21 am

Actually better input than I thought you'd give over.

good job
    Chipped
    Chipped

SPS Chips : 134
    Favourite hand : Posh dog (k9 suited)

Post  Chipped Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:27 am

KunkuWap wrote:Think about it...you need to last another 6 hours to win so your immediate result isn't that relevant. Chill.

wise words, as always from kunk
    Bainn
    Bainn
    Beardy Mod

SPS Chips : 2724
    Favourite hand : 5-4 off "The Bainn"

Post  Bainn Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:03 pm

khenny wrote:Actually better input than I thought you'd give over.

good job

Indeed.
    Bubster
    Bubster

SPS Chips : 396

Post  Bubster Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:04 am

KunkuWap wrote:1st level of MTT / early stages of MTT there isn't much point in 3b or making pots too big without the nuts. The idea is to gain informatino on opponenets and see lots of cheap flops to bust weaker players. Any raise is fine, whether its min raise or 4x because a bad player is going to call with 93s on the button regardless of your raise amount as it doesn't affect his stack size this early on in a tournament.

Key is not to get attached to it post flop. Remember, doubling up the first hand of an MTT v the risk of going bust is rarely worth the double up. Think about it...you need to last another 6 hours to win so your immediate result isn't that relevant. Chill.

yeahthat WWYD 627217

you're looking to either win a small pot with a raise and C-Bet, or to hit a jack. I'd go with a raise to 100 and take it from there.
    LuckyChuck
    LuckyChuck

SPS Chips : 117

Post  LuckyChuck Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:40 am

3 words... limp limp limp Smile
    the hoooders
    the hoooders

Post  the hoooders Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:12 am

LuckyChuck wrote:3 words... limp limp limp Smile
    you saying you would limp in this situtaion chuck?? scratch scratch scratch scratch
    wildrick
    wildrick
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor

SPS Chips : 2238
    Favourite hand : 10sJs

Post  wildrick Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:33 am

the hoooders wrote:
    LuckyChuck wrote:3 words... limp limp limp Smile
    you saying you would limp in this situtaion chuck?? scratch scratch scratch scratch

lol no, he's just hurt his foot.
    MADV
    MADV

SPS Chips : 1369
    Favourite hand : AA - the suit, quite frankly, is irrelevant

Post  MADV Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:31 pm

The real question is, what would you do with 96 sooted in this case? Much more interesting than the bingo Jacks.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content