SharkPokerSchool Forum

Hi and welcome to our SPS Forum!

Only our forum members are eligible for our freerolls, cheaprolls, forum games, and other promotions; so if you haven't registered, please sign up, it only takes a minute!

Any problems or questions please email us at admin@sharkpokerschool.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SharkPokerSchool Forum

Hi and welcome to our SPS Forum!

Only our forum members are eligible for our freerolls, cheaprolls, forum games, and other promotions; so if you haven't registered, please sign up, it only takes a minute!

Any problems or questions please email us at admin@sharkpokerschool.com

SharkPokerSchool Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SharkPokerSchool Forum
www.SharkPokerSchool.com....  Hi Guest, welcome to the SPS Forum!..... Welcome to our newest member darrayb..... Don't forget our friendly weekly forum game, and wp to last Sunday's winner, xBEASTx!!!

+4
Bubster
CARNIVORE04
khenny
hopelesglory
8 posters

20$ MTT Hand

hopelesglory
    hopelesglory

SPS Chips : 140

20$ MTT Hand Empty 20$ MTT Hand

Post  hopelesglory Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:12 am

Hi there, I just recently joined the forum and am thinking of using the mentoring service, so I figured I will make a contribution to the forum and see what feedback I get.
    This example is from a hand I played today...it seems like these are the kind of hands where I lose a lot of chips and leave myself vulnerable in the mid-late game stages (and have to resort to pre flop showdowns). Here are the details of the tournament:

• 1 hour into tourny
    • 20$ freezeout, around 160 started 70-80 odd remaining (1500 chips start).
    • Current table is quite loose, not much preflop raising, lots of limping.
    • My image is quite tight, im limping in late positions when flops are cheap and raising big pre flop with premium.
    • The oppenant in the hand appears quite loose and likes to call people down.
    • The rest of the information you should be able to deduct from the picture (I'm on the dealer button)

20$ MTT Hand Wh_2010

Personally I think I played the hand well, apart from potentially the river where I should have just checked (although I figure him for jack Q/Ten/Nine and was hoping for a payoff) - in heinsight it seems like an obvious check.

My friend says I should have raised the flop bet...but I thought my hand was strong enough to slow play, as the flop was rainbow and no potential draws and I had position.

Any comments appreciated!
    khenny
    khenny
    McLairy Mod

SPS Chips : 1686
    Favourite hand : Aces. What else would you want?

20$ MTT Hand Empty Re: 20$ MTT Hand

Post  khenny Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:32 am

Hi there m8. First of all welcome to the forum. welcome

You say this guy is quite loose and yet he flat calls in mid position. OK that would raise my eyebrows straight away! An aggressive player who limps is always a worry.

This sort of guy will tend not to be the best you will meet on a nightly basis though and they are a good source of chips. Garbage hands they lump and good hands they are more passive hoping to trap.

The hand you have is one I would play in that position 10x out of 10. I like suited connectors even when they are seperated by the full 3 card gap! Very Happy

The flop comes over and you are a monster fav, 90% at least. The only thoughts in your head at this point is

a) how much can I take them for?
    b) what can they be holding? Never assume that you have the hand won when the flop comes down.

First thing I would be thinking is why has the loose guy checked a flop? Think I may be pot betting here just to find out if they are connected at all. It may induce a steal all in from Mr Loose in which case the hand plays to it's nasty conclusion. You will have seen the all in AK move from many donks when they have missed the flop totally but just can't lay it down! Have done it myself also,,,,,,but with panache. Cool

Frankly once he hits the K on turn there is no way he is leaving this one and to be honest with you I think you do well to hold onto your chips at the end with a very solid call and no re raise.

If you want some advice on later stages of MTT play and how to switch up through the gears so to speak then why not try playing some much smaller buy ins. When you get late on just get a bit more creative (possibly looser) and pressure the other stacks a bit more. The small buy in wont bother you as much and you can work on the aspects of your game which you feel need the attention.

All in all I don't think you did a massive amount wrong here although I am sure others on here will have their own ideas on how the hand could've been played differently. We all have opinions and very rarely are they always the correct ones when it comes to poker.

Gl at the tables m8. Where do you play? We have a forum game on Ladbrokes every Sunday. 5 euro buy in with a nice 3,500 chips and 20 min blinds. Feel free to pop along.
    CARNIVORE04
    CARNIVORE04

SPS Chips : 1377

Post  CARNIVORE04 Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:05 pm

Firstly may i say welcome to the forum and what a good first post. good post

Alas we realise both you and kenny are super sooooted fish ffsh

I mean limping anywhere with J7 deserves a good busting in my book so thats the first lesson learned on the hand DON'T LIMP J7 SOOOOTED position or not.

Nonetheless lets say i accidently called and was in the hand then i have to agree with you mate on reraising his flop bet cause as you said yourself he "appears quite loose and likes to call people down" so why not make him pay righ there and then if he is bigger fish than you.

If think your hand is vulnerable to overpairs pairing the board and without reraising him you get no info but rather give him an opportunity to catch up or in this case catch runner runner.

Anyways kennys a bit soft on newcomers but i as the forum champion believe in tough love.
    khenny
    khenny
    McLairy Mod

Post  khenny Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:19 pm

CARNIVORE04 wrote:Firstly may i say welcome to the forum and what a good first post. good post

I mean limping anywhere with J7 deserves a good busting in my book so thats the first lesson learned on the hand DON'T LIMP J7 SOOOOTED position or not.

Nonetheless lets say i accidently called and was in the hand then i have to agree with you mate on reraising his flop bet cause as you said yourself he "appears quite loose and likes to call people down" so why not make him pay righ there and then if he is bigger fish than you.

If think your hand is vulnerable to overpairs pairing the board and without reraising him you get no info but rather give him an opportunity to catch up or in this case catch runner runner.

Anyways kennys a bit soft on newcomers but i as the forum champion believe in tough love.

Quality retort m8!

I love the subtle, read between the lines way you deliver your message! lol

There are arguments to fold nearly any hand m8 but I got to say if you can get to see a cheap flop with suited connectors I'm in like Flynn every day of the week. Especially if I is on da button!
    CARNIVORE04
    CARNIVORE04

Post  CARNIVORE04 Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:27 pm

khenny wrote:
    CARNIVORE04 wrote:Firstly may i say welcome to the forum and what a good first post. good post

Quality retort m8!

I love the subtle, read between the lines way you deliver your message! lol

There are arguments to fold nearly any hand m8 but I got to say if you can get to see a cheap flop with suited connectors I'm in like Flynn every day of the week. Especially if I is on da button!

At least u got balls to defend your fish status. Do you make the same call with 3d 7d ?
    khenny
    khenny
    McLairy Mod

Post  khenny Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:34 pm

Well let me ask you a question?

Are they soooooted? Are they connecteeeeeeed?

Yup m8 I do it every day with suited connectors and if I hit I don't even turn a mild shade of pink!

f1sh
    CARNIVORE04
    CARNIVORE04

Post  CARNIVORE04 Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:50 pm

khenny wrote:Well let me ask you a question?

Yup m8 I do it every day with suited connectors and if I hit I don't even turn a mild shade of pink!

f1sh

Nope thats cause you a permanent shade of fishy green

ffsh f1sh bump ouch
    khenny
    khenny
    McLairy Mod

Post  khenny Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:53 pm

CARNIVORE04 wrote:

f1sh

ffsh f1sh bump ouch

Salmon are pink!
    CARNIVORE04
    CARNIVORE04

Post  CARNIVORE04 Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:58 pm

khenny wrote:
    CARNIVORE04 wrote:

f1sh

ffsh f1sh bump ouch

Salmon are pink!

20$ MTT Hand Intern10
    khenny
    khenny
    McLairy Mod

Post  khenny Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:27 am

Got dealt the following hand and decided in light of the original posters hand to show you how to play Jd 7d lol

** Hand # 2958958896 starting - 2009-11-13 17:21:18
    ** Multi-Table Freezeout[3191486]:Table 2 [Sit & Go Hold'em] (70.00|140.00 NL - MTT) Real Money

fischer091 sitting in seat 1 with 1805.00
    GATOPARDOS sitting in seat 2 with 3650.00
    short2009 sitting in seat 4 with 3320.00[Dealer]
    Mihkelvain sitting in seat 5 with 5395.00
    pokerkenny sitting in seat 6 with 2750.00
    Mihkelvain posted the small blind - 35.00
    pokerkenny posted the big blind - 70.00

** Dealing cards to pokerkenny: Jd, 7d
    fischer091 folded
    GATOPARDOS raised to 210.00
    short2009 folded
    Mihkelvain called - 210.00
    pokerkenny called - 210.00

** Dealing the flop: 8d, Kh, 7c
    Mihkelvain checked
    pokerkenny checked
    GATOPARDOS bet - 280.00
    Mihkelvain folded
    pokerkenny called - 280.00

** Dealing the turn: 9s
    pokerkenny went all-in - 2260.00
    GATOPARDOS folded
    pokerkenny mucks:
    pokerkenny wins 3450.00 from the main pot

Rake: 0.00

shark shark shark shark shark shark
    Bubster
    Bubster

SPS Chips : 396

Post  Bubster Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:52 am

I don't think this is a good spot to limp J7 - 2 things, one its not connected enough (much prefer 78s or J10s), and two, you dont have enough chips imo. I know you have 30bbs, but the blinds are pretty quick in that game (10 mins i think), and its only double starting stack.

After the limp, I think you played it fine, although a check call might of been better on the river as it's a pretty bad card for you, probably the worst bar a king.
    LuckyChuck
    LuckyChuck

SPS Chips : 117

Post  LuckyChuck Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:09 am

welcome to the forum cheers

theyre a friendly enough bunch, tho some are a little weird What a Face

as for the hand...

I think I'd of bet pot on the turn - If you get called and that river comes down you can check fold imo. You're still losing the hand, obviously.

If you bet smaller on turn then you can check/call river

I dont think the raise is particularly sensible on the end, but not awful by any means.
    hopelesglory
    hopelesglory

SPS Chips : 140

Post  hopelesglory Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:21 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for your responses, some very interesting reads. I'll be sure to think about them next time I am in a similiar situation (I think I favour the idea of raising the person's flop bet, seeing as the oppenant was a loose player and would put his chips in anyway - and hence no need to slowplay)

I usually play on William Hill, which is where the hand was taken from (it's history programme is a little hard to decypher though if not used before, it works from top to bottom where the small blind is obviously always first to act)

Sounds like it would be good fun to play in this ladbrokes game (although tough competition!), I will be online Sunday to make sure I participate - I've not used Ladbrokes before..is there a first depositer bonus I can take advantage off?Smile
    MADV
    MADV

SPS Chips : 1369
    Favourite hand : AA - the suit, quite frankly, is irrelevant

Post  MADV Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:16 pm

hopelesglory wrote:[...]I've not used Ladbrokes before..is there a first depositer bonus I can take advantage off?Smile

There certainly is and it's not that bad if you play a good amount of tournaments or cash. You can get a match bonus up to $500. You'll have to earn 15,000 player points but that's no problem for full time players. If you want a smaller amount it starts at $50 going up in $50s.

Best of luck on Ladborkes; it's where a lot of us cut our teeth.
    MrMiami
    MrMiami
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor

SPS Chips : 12

Post  MrMiami Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:36 pm

Hi All,

I am somewhat embarassed to say that, as a mentor this is my first post in forum.

I feel that this hand brings up some interesting points which I think have been completely ignored. So please feel free to post any disagreement or questions.

First of all....

It is always difficult to play against a limped monster as it is obviously disguised. I think we can ignore the fact that limping with ak diamonds is a pretty bad move unless the intention of the limper was to extract a raise from an over agg squeezy player who is yet to act.

Given that the villain has been defined as loose/passive one could assume that they were limping just to make sure they hit something before the pot gets too big. Ignoring how wrong this is on many levels the real discussion should be about how j7 suited was played on the button.

First off I strongly disagree with the poster who says they would play this hand 10 out of 10 times on the button. Poker is about adaptation and gone are the days where murdering players in position is a dramatically effective tactic. Any player with half a brain will be applying alot of pressure to a serial position raiser. You will find that the best players will at times narrow their button/ cut off range on the basis that it is perceived that this is their widest hand range. As such narrowing that button raising range will induce alot of action from weaker hands and allow you to build pots with strong hands in position. You will find that people give you less credit in these situations and are prepared to stack off alot lighter. Although this is only a small tourney it is best to get into these good habits for larger events. With so many players using tracking equipment it is easy to single out the players who think they can win tournaments from the button. On the same basis you will find that opening hands that play well when they hit the flop...910 suited 68suited etc etc can be opened utg....you will get credit for stronger holdings and are only likely to get raised by huge hands that you wnt to avoid....anyway i am going off on a tangent!

So first off....you have 3300 chips and if you had decided to raise you would be committing 10% of your stack + a continuation to winning the pot. Unless it slaps you in the face like it did you are donking off alot of chips when you cannot afford to do so....so contemplating a raise with a average hand against a player who you say is a station is careless. But, you decide to limp....Now you are risking less but ensuring that everyone knows you do not have a strong hand. Given that the villain is loose passive and will be tough to push off a hand, do you really think this is the type of hand you want to play? More often that not you will miss the flop and then end up trying to bet out a guy who is capable of check-calling you down. If he was tight passive...raise it up and exploit his limpiness but why do this when he wont fold?

So, it seems the biggest mistake is playing the hand in the first place.

Given that you luck out and the flop smacks you straight in the face, you have to use this opportunity to make as much as you can.

The villain it has to be said played this in a very strange way. He misses with his monster and decides to fire a pot size bet out (we can discuss bet sizing another time). Your friend is 100% wrong to think you should raise him now. you have position and you are 99% ahead so why would you risk losing him. When the villain checks you are entirely correct to fire the turn as you want to build the pot...no problems there. I am guessing that the villain believes he is now trapping you. When the ace hits, it is far from an obvious check.....you have to bet. You cannot put him on any set...you have j7 so jjj 777 is unlikely...he could limp with 33 but if he bets out to build the pot why would he check turn and risk losing a bet? (although this is counter intuitive to the fact he checks his king)....aa kk you can assume would have been raised pre....so the hands that now beat you are hands made on the river....you cannot know he is playing his hand like a complete moron so you would have to assume that kj and k7(if he would play that hand) would have bet turn...which leaves you with 3 hands that beat you...a3 a7 and aj..which would make sense that he would bet and check and q 10 which he might have taken a stab with and checked when he hit his open ender.

As it turns out ak is the same as a3,a7,aj and unfortunately for you it was a cooler but you cant check your hand down scared of 3 or 4 unlikely hands when you have a station who can pay you off with another 20 hands that don't beat you. The call is fine on the river, although i wouldnt hate it if you stacked off. If he was attempting to rep an ace on the river then you are not gaining anything but a fold when you 3 bet his river reraise... so I like the call.

Unfortunately because tournaments are so much more finite than cash games you will get caught out by weird plays from time to time and head off to kiss the rail. However, if you hold back when you do hit hands like that you will never put yourself in a position to win a tournament. I would rather give myself a shot at winning a tournament than just fade away through fear. You dont get a prize for the best pot control....It's just a sick turn and river. Leave the pot control and caution to those times in the tournament when your opponent is likely to have a legitimate hand or you feel it is prudent to pot control when you and the villain are both deep and your holding is marginal.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck!
    MrMiami
    MrMiami
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor

SPS Chips : 12

20$ MTT Hand Empty Khenny

Post  MrMiami Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:40 pm

Re: your j7 hand Kenny...

What if he calls?
    wildrick
    wildrick
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor
    SharkPokerSchool Mentor

SPS Chips : 2238
    Favourite hand : 10sJs

Post  wildrick Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:12 pm

MrMiami wrote:Hi All,

I am somewhat embarassed to say that, as a mentor this is my first post in forum.

I feel that this hand brings up some interesting points which I think have been completely ignored. So please feel free to post any disagreement or questions.

First of all....

It is always difficult to play against a limped monster as it is obviously disguised. I think we can ignore the fact that limping with ak diamonds is a pretty bad move unless the intention of the limper was to extract a raise from an over agg squeezy player who is yet to act.

Given that the villain has been defined as loose/passive one could assume that they were limping just to make sure they hit something before the pot gets too big. Ignoring how wrong this is on many levels the real discussion should be about how j7 suited was played on the button.

First off I strongly disagree with the poster who says they would play this hand 10 out of 10 times on the button. Poker is about adaptation and gone are the days where murdering players in position is a dramatically effective tactic. Any player with half a brain will be applying alot of pressure to a serial position raiser. You will find that the best players will at times narrow their button/ cut off range on the basis that it is perceived that this is their widest hand range. As such narrowing that button raising range will induce alot of action from weaker hands and allow you to build pots with strong hands in position. You will find that people give you less credit in these situations and are prepared to stack off alot lighter. Although this is only a small tourney it is best to get into these good habits for larger events. With so many players using tracking equipment it is easy to single out the players who think they can win tournaments from the button. On the same basis you will find that opening hands that play well when they hit the flop...910 suited 68suited etc etc can be opened utg....you will get credit for stronger holdings and are only likely to get raised by huge hands that you wnt to avoid....anyway i am going off on a tangent!

So first off....you have 3300 chips and if you had decided to raise you would be committing 10% of your stack + a continuation to winning the pot. Unless it slaps you in the face like it did you are donking off alot of chips when you cannot afford to do so....so contemplating a raise with a average hand against a player who you say is a station is careless. But, you decide to limp....Now you are risking less but ensuring that everyone knows you do not have a strong hand. Given that the villain is loose passive and will be tough to push off a hand, do you really think this is the type of hand you want to play? More often that not you will miss the flop and then end up trying to bet out a guy who is capable of check-calling you down. If he was tight passive...raise it up and exploit his limpiness but why do this when he wont fold?

So, it seems the biggest mistake is playing the hand in the first place.

Given that you luck out and the flop smacks you straight in the face, you have to use this opportunity to make as much as you can.

The villain it has to be said played this in a very strange way. He misses with his monster and decides to fire a pot size bet out (we can discuss bet sizing another time). Your friend is 100% wrong to think you should raise him now. you have position and you are 99% ahead so why would you risk losing him. When the villain checks you are entirely correct to fire the turn as you want to build the pot...no problems there. I am guessing that the villain believes he is now trapping you. When the ace hits, it is far from an obvious check.....you have to bet. You cannot put him on any set...you have j7 so jjj 777 is unlikely...he could limp with 33 but if he bets out to build the pot why would he check turn and risk losing a bet? (although this is counter intuitive to the fact he checks his king)....aa kk you can assume would have been raised pre....so the hands that now beat you are hands made on the river....you cannot know he is playing his hand like a complete moron so you would have to assume that kj and k7(if he would play that hand) would have bet turn...which leaves you with 3 hands that beat you...a3 a7 and aj..which would make sense that he would bet and check and q 10 which he might have taken a stab with and checked when he hit his open ender.

As it turns out ak is the same as a3,a7,aj and unfortunately for you it was a cooler but you cant check your hand down scared of 3 or 4 unlikely hands when you have a station who can pay you off with another 20 hands that don't beat you. The call is fine on the river, although i wouldnt hate it if you stacked off. If he was attempting to rep an ace on the river then you are not gaining anything but a fold when you 3 bet his river reraise... so I like the call.

Unfortunately because tournaments are so much more finite than cash games you will get caught out by weird plays from time to time and head off to kiss the rail. However, if you hold back when you do hit hands like that you will never put yourself in a position to win a tournament. I would rather give myself a shot at winning a tournament than just fade away through fear. You dont get a prize for the best pot control....It's just a sick turn and river. Leave the pot control and caution to those times in the tournament when your opponent is likely to have a legitimate hand or you feel it is prudent to pot control when you and the villain are both deep and your holding is marginal.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck!

Now thats what i call a first post!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 5:36 pm